audio interface v mixing desk

Forum for SonicCell
DEVO-UK

audio interface v mixing desk

Post by DEVO-UK »

Hi guys

I wondered if anyone could provide some advice on the best set up for the SC for live work

My set up is as follows

1. SC playing backing tracks
2. Vocals
3. One midi keyboard
4. Roland AX

Motu audio interface and two powered JBL PRX535's

My initial thought was to route the SC and AX via two channels for each in the audio interface. Then using Mainstage to put the vocals and midi keyboard through, again via the Motu ( firewire )

But then I though, I could possibly do away with the whole audio interface and mac book pro and just get a small mixer for the vocals, AX and SC and get the midi keyboard to play sounds in the SC.

Does anyone have any views on the pro's and con's of each. The mixer does look the best option as I wont need the mac book set up.
dbijoux

Re: audio interface v mixing desk

Post by dbijoux »

Sounds like you've got it covered.

For live work, the simpler the setup the better. Bringing a computer to act as mixer seems like an unnecessary chore to me. Since you didn't mention any sequencing or FX, I'd leave the mac and take the right tool for the job. You've got enough to carry by yourself already.

I wouldn't forget it all together tho. At home, you could use the SC as your interface and upgrade to something better if/when you need to expand.