More advice please

Forum for SonicCell
DEVO-UK

More advice please

Post by DEVO-UK »

Okay

I've been to demo the SH01 GAIA and although I like some of the sounds, it wasn't fully what I wanted. So I'm after more advice please.

I don't need the Fantom G6 as I can produce my midi files in Logic Pro and play them live using the SC. So I'm after a versatile synth that will give me easy access to some nice 80's patches, with maybe a keyboard split so I can play along with two different sounds without changing patch. I liked the SH01 but it didn't have any guitars and I want to do tracks such as the new Calvin Harris one which has a simple guitar riff.

I also do 'are friends electric', so need a nice patch to play the riff and that big bass sound that comes in on the instrumental part.

The SH01 was nearly there, but not quite. Does anyone have any good suggestions please?
rcraven

Re: More advice please

Post by rcraven »

With the SC you have a Fantom X with additional waveforms and better output circuits.
Have you tried to get the sounds you want by editing the SC?
How about getting the extra editor for the SC - The SC Synth editor
http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloa ... 100_PC.zip

It becomes a 4 Osc, 4 Filter, 8 LFOs with reverb and effects.
It is a great synth editor for getting those bass sounds.
Save the patch then swap to the normal editor to modify your favorite factory guitar patch.

All the best
Royce
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

Hey thanks Royce

My sister is currently over from Melbourne. I'm in the UK.

I'm really happy with the SC sounds and will probably buy an expansion card, but I have some funds for an extra synth, so I'm itching to buy...

M-Audio have this Vemon out but it's almost impossible to get a demo anywhere near. I like the set up of the SH01, but just want better patches. And the Planet Roland (so called) experts at my local dealer new nothing about the GM bank, so that trip was a write off...

Ah well. Back to you tube

Thanks again.

Alan
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

Waldorf Blofeld is looking an option....
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

This should start a bit of a discussion.
And meant in the friendliest way.

The SC is an amazingly powerful synth. Sure many players don't want to get into sound design, but I do worry about the constant changing of instrument without having really gone into the possibilities of the current instrument.
Gear lust is a dangerous thing, because it spreads you time and attention over such a large are that you only ever have time for the simplistic things and those things you repeat and repeat.
You are so busy with the frustration of relearning that you don't get the songs written or recorded or your playing technique goes to the dogs.
It is like taking up the clarinet and 'absolutely loving it' so you go out and buy a violin.
Then after finding this fantastic sound and being able to play Mary Had a Little lamb off we go and buy a harp.
All because they are keyboard based don't assume you already know how to play a new synth.
The satisfaction of a new piece of gear is so short lived and then it becomes 'OK, but look at the new Wizzo!'
The long term effect is that you don't get much done because you are constantly relearning stuff you already knew but on a different platform.
If the SC doesn't have the sounds you are looking for try and modify/create till you get close to what you hear.
On the way you are bound to find things that are even better.

You already have the tools, start building.

All the best

Royce
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

Good points

I have purchased the srx05 expansion, but just looking for a neat little synth to play a few simple top lines live.

I have some money to spend, so I'm like a child in a sweet shop lol
DEVO-UK

Post by DEVO-UK »

ps. I have all the songs programmed in Logic and impted to the SC, so all the work is done. Just looking for a nice little synth to pay some top lines.

The songs sound amazing in the SC. Delighted with it.