Help Please?

Forum for SonicCell
DEVO-UK

Help Please?

Post by DEVO-UK »

After a month of chopping and changing my set up to complimant the SC at the heart of it, I now have the following:-

SC - playing backing tracks
Virus TI Dark Star - playing manually by me, with some backing tracks/patches driven by the SC
Midi controller (midi out to in on the SC) - for me to play additional synth lines over the backing tracks

I have a temporary set up where I have introduced Logic (via usb) to build and rehearse the backing tracks(it's easier to edit the midi files in Logic).

This has worked fine, but I had to select the System - USB midi through to On, to get the SC to play some of the backing track channels in a multi on the Virus. This also disabled the midi controller from playing anything (manually by me) in the SC (I do have all the correct midi channels lined).

So I've unplugged all the Mac usb links and saved the midi file to a stick and plugged this in the SC and now it's just playing the songs on piano on all channels.

So I just need some help establshing what I need to do to build the tracks with the Mac involved and then what I need to do to go stand alone with the midi files on the stick and the Virus and midi controller connected please.

I did fire the SC up with the stick in and it executed a 'program update, which completed leaving all the lights on and had to switch it off to move on.
DEVO-UK

Re: Help Please?

Post by DEVO-UK »

Oooh. Before I cause mayhem, this seems to have worked ( the file extract from logic to the stick ) as long as I retain the usb connection from the mac to the usb.

I can then unplug it, put the stick in the SC and it works.

Phew....

Didn't want Royce scratching his head with this one lol
rcraven

Re: Help Please?

Post by rcraven »

DEVO-UK wrote: SC -> playing backing tracks
SC -> Virus TI Dark Star
Midi controller ->SC

Logic - usb - SC
SC USB midi through to On

This also disabled the midi controller from playing anything (manually by me) in the SC
Your controller Midi data should be ending up at the Mac in Logic. Echo it back to the SC in Logic and it should play.
So I've unplugged all the Mac usb links and saved the midi file to a stick and plugged this in the SC and now it's just playing the songs on piano on all channels.
You need to be in Performance mode when you start the player on the SC.
You need to set up a Performance with the presets + mix + pan etc settings
OR
you need to get Logic to save the preset selection and mix to the MIDI file that you put in the SC USB stick.
I would have though Logic would normally do this. Sonar certainly does, so it could be the SC is in Patch mode when playing the tracks.
I did fire the SC up with the stick in and it executed a 'program update, which completed leaving all the lights on and had to switch it off to move on.
It looks like you have the OS update file in the root directory of your USB stick. You need to remove it or reformat the stick (you'll loose all the tracks on the stick but you can use the Playlist editor to put them back) or use a different stick.

Hope that helps

Royce