Adding vibrato to an user patch

Forum for SonicCell
EnriqueP

Adding vibrato to an user patch

Post by EnriqueP »

I'm brand new to the forum, I'm not sure if this has been addressed before.
I have a SonicCell with Patchman sounds. I would like to add vibrato to the Oboe patch, how can I do that? I can't find it in the book.
rcraven

Re: Adding vibrato to an user patch

Post by rcraven »

EnriqueP wrote:I'm brand new to the forum, I'm not sure if this has been addressed before.
I have a SonicCell with Patchman sounds. I would like to add vibrato to the Oboe patch, how can I do that? I can't find it in the book.
Matt usually has a vibrato sorted out in his patches.
I will assume you want to control the vibrato with, say,. the thumb rocker on the WX5/7.
Check that the WX is set up for CC01 'Modulation'.
Try it once you have set it up. It should give vibrato... if not.....

Boot up the SonicCell Editor
On the editor...
Select Patch mode
SUMMARY - on the top right take note of which tones are turned on (SWITCH) probably 1 and 2
Select SYSTEM Common + Mastering
Right / top is the system wide controller sources SYSTEM CTRL SRC there are 4 but select CC01 MODULATION for SYSTEM CRTL SRC1
Select PATCH / Matrix Control
There are 4 sources. Select 98 SYS_CTRL 1 - which you have just made to respond to CC 01
Destination - on Destination 1 select LFO1 Pitch depth and turn Tones 1 & 2 on
Play around with the Sens - amount of LFO applied. (vibrato)
You could add Destination 2 for LFO 1 TVA depth (tremolo - despite the incorrectly named "Tremolo bars" on a guitar)
Don't forget to save it when you get it sorted out.

All the best
Royce
EnriqueP

Post by EnriqueP »

I did all you told me, even when many things I could change like Reverb or other parameters, did nothing to change vibrato, any other suggestions?
Thnaks!
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

OK, it sounds like it not the SC but the controller.
What controller are you using?
Are you using a wind controller like a WX5 or WX7 or Akai EWI 4000 or something else?

Assuming you have a PC, connect your controller to the PC and run a free program called MidiOx.
This will show you what Midi data your controller is putting out.
To activate the vibrato on the SC you would usually use Continuous Controller 1 (CC01) which is usually called Modulation.

Check that when you expect vibrato to happen (eg when you use the thumb rocker on the WX) that the controller is putting out CC01 data.
EnriqueP

Post by EnriqueP »

I have the EWI4000 and the EWI-USB, I'm using a MacBook. I can control vibrato bitting the mouth piece but I want to add vibrato to the Oboe patch to have a continuos vibrato typical of Oboe players.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

EnriqueP wrote:I have the EWI4000 and the EWI-USB, I'm using a MacBook. I can control vibrato bitting the mouth piece but I want to add vibrato to the Oboe patch to have a continuos vibrato typical of Oboe players.
OK, so you want a vibrato without doing anything.
You just need to turn it on permanently in the patch and save it.
Start the Editor on the Mac.
Select Patch mode
Select the Oboe patch
Go to the LFO section
Set LFO 1 to Sin wave, set the Rate (Matt will have set them already)
Set the LFO 1 Pitch Depth to what is suitable. (try a setting of 4 or 5) Matt will have set this to 0 so it is controllable with the EWI and that is why you are not getting any vibrato.
You might want the vibrato not to start straight away - adjust the Delay Time of LFO 1
Save the patch - done.

You should be able to edit the SC with the USB to Mac and still play the EWI into the Midi in to see how it sounds.

All the best

Royce
EnriqueP

Post by EnriqueP »

Thanks Royce, it worked perfectly.