Editor UI and selecting patches

Forum for SonicCell
jacquez

Editor UI and selecting patches

Post by jacquez »

The SonicCell Editor UI for selecting patches is ridiculous.
You have to click SIX TIMES to select a patch; which is a nightmare when you try to listen to the different patches to find what you want.
If you want to listen to 100 different patches, that means 600 unnecessary mouse clicks. Has Roland not heard of user-friendly UI design?
Is there no keyboard shortcut for this?
Or easier way to move from one patch to the next?
rcraven

Re: Editor UI and selecting patches

Post by rcraven »

You can use an external Midi controller like a keyboard or Behringer's BCR200 etc
You can load the Sonic Cell editor in to a PC and get it to select the Bank/patch.
You can use the wheel to go to the Patch number , press the wheel.
Now with it highlighted you can rotate the wheel and each click will change the patch.
Press again to deselect the number and move the cursor to the Bank. Press and change the bank.

All the best
Royce
jacquez

Post by jacquez »

Thanks, but I do mean using the Editor on a PC.
I access the unit completely from a PC - the unit is actually some distance away from the PC - so I don;t want to use the wheel.
The drop-down menu is modal, which means it disappears after selection.
A better design is to make it modeless, and stay open as a floating panel - through which a user can then just toggle to the next patch.
Thanks Royce!
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

In the editor just below the Patch name is a button Patch List that brings up a selection dialog (modal - you have to select the patch or cancel before you can go back to the editor).

You can hi light the current patch in the list and the use your cursor buttons to move up and down the list.
This selects the patch on the SC but doesn't up date the editor until the dialog is closed.

All the best
Royce
jacquez

Post by jacquez »

Thanks Royce.
But here is what I want to do - and which was possible form the very first DOS MIDI programs, such as Voyetra.
While the arrangement is playing, I want to scroll through sounds to find the right texture within the composition. While scrolling, by just clicking I want that soundpatch to play along, and if I don;t like it, I want to move on to another.
And I want to do this from Sonar.

jq

PS
Been to Melbourne 14 times.
Perhaps next time I'll pop in to see what you are up to. :)
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

jq
check out the pdf on how to set up the editor in Sonar from Roland
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/SCWS04.pdf

Essentially you set it up in a spare track in the FX section and have it in performance mode
Build your tracks and assign them to the correct Midi interface and channel and set the song to play

Go to the editor track select the Part you want to change with the button near the top left
To the right of this is the Patch select for the current track which you do as above as with Patch mode.

Be good to see you.

Royce
jacquez

Post by jacquez »

Thank you very much - I will certainly try this.
louparte

Post by louparte »

jacquez wrote:Thanks Royce.
But here is what I want to do - and which was possible form the very first DOS MIDI programs, such as Voyetra.
While the arrangement is playing, I want to scroll through sounds to find the right texture within the composition. While scrolling, by just clicking I want that soundpatch to play along, and if I don;t like it, I want to move on to another.
And I want to do this from Sonar.

jq

PS
Been to Melbourne 14 times.
Perhaps next time I'll pop in to see what you are up to. :)
Voyetra was great software. I still have it on one of my XP laptops. I'm dumping Cubase 5
because the MIDI has so many bugs. I'm about to try the Sonar LE that came with my SC and/or
Presonus Artist that came with an audio interface I bought.

Voyetra's MIDI implementation was simple and brilliant. It spoiled me.