Midi Setup Dialog box

Forum for SonicCell
Johan325

Midi Setup Dialog box

Post by Johan325 »

Anybody who knows where I can get a full readout or map of the MidiSetup configuration Dialog box?
I can’t get my Midi IN to communicate with the software sequencer and then back again. This is not a big problem. I have external Midi interface witch I usually use.
But for some weeks I’ve the keyboard connected directly to the Sonic Cell. And I suddenly wanted to record something. And I couldn’t get it to work. I can connect my external Midiinterface back again. It’s more a “know how” issue.
I’ve read the manuals of Sonic Cell, XV-5050, Fantom XR, SH-201 even VariOS. There is no full explanation of the Midi Setup Dialog. Have any one seen it?
PauloF

Re: Midi Setup Dialog box

Post by PauloF »

Johan325 wrote:Anybody who knows where I can get a full readout or map of the MidiSetup configuration Dialog box?
I can’t get my Midi IN to communicate with the software sequencer and then back again. This is not a big problem. I have external Midi interface witch I usually use.
But for some weeks I’ve the keyboard connected directly to the Sonic Cell. And I suddenly wanted to record something. And I couldn’t get it to work. I can connect my external Midiinterface back again. It’s more a “know how” issue.
I’ve read the manuals of Sonic Cell, XV-5050, Fantom XR, SH-201 even VariOS. There is no full explanation of the Midi Setup Dialog. Have any one seen it?
I was going to bet that I saw this question on another thread, but let's see if we can help.

If you want to play the SC directly from a MIDI Keyboard and record on a DAW, you should connect the SC to the computer using the USB interface. So far, seems straightforward.

Then you have to configure your DAW to recognize the SC's MIDI interface (USB), making sure that you have the SC's drivers installed and that the DAW "sees" the SC.

Don't forget that the SC is an AUDIO and MIDI interface implemented on it's USB
It should be no problem at all

Also take a look to the following Workshops on the Roland US SonicCell Page on the Support Tab.

I hope this helps
Johan325

Post by Johan325 »

Thanks PauloF!
I went through the workshops at the RolandUS Site this Friday and hoped they give me some answers. But no bigger explanation there.

In the Sonic Cell Manual it says Midi In : Sonic Cell – Midi Out: Sonic Cell. Leave the Throughs alone.
That’s what I’ve done. No result.

But there is no crisis I’ve connected my PCR Keyboard to the big Midi interface so now I can sequence. I had it (the keyboard) connected directly to the Sonic Cell for some days. Didn’t felt like starting the computer every time I wanted to just play some lines. All our discussions at the INTEGRA-7 thread made me want play some of the sound of the SRX Card.

This is more a "want to know" thing.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Johan325 wrote:Thanks PauloF!
I went through the workshops at the RolandUS Site this Friday and hoped they give me some answers. But no bigger explanation there.

In the Sonic Cell Manual it says Midi In : Sonic Cell – Midi Out: Sonic Cell. Leave the Throughs alone.
That’s what I’ve done. No result.

But there is no crisis I’ve connected my PCR Keyboard to the big Midi interface so now I can sequence. I had it (the keyboard) connected directly to the Sonic Cell for some days. Didn’t felt like starting the computer every time I wanted to just play some lines. All our discussions at the INTEGRA-7 thread made me want play some of the sound of the SRX Card.

This is more a "want to know" thing.
I don't really understand what's really the problem here, as you have a very straightforward setup.

PCR MIDI OUT ---> SC MIDI IN
PCR USB OUT ----> COMPUTER/DAW

This is exactly what I used for a couple of years (when I had a SC)

You also can Connect other Keyboard to the PCR MIDI IN and Merge the two
Johan325

Post by Johan325 »

PCR MIDI OUT ---> SC MIDI IN
SC USB ---> DAW ---> SC USB (same USB cable)

And this has worked once upon a time. I remember testing it when I bought the Sonic Cell (1½ year after the release).
I thinks some of my setting are wrong.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Johan325 wrote:PCR MIDI OUT ---> SC MIDI IN
SC USB ---> DAW ---> SC USB (same USB cable)

And this has worked once upon a time. I remember testing it when I bought the Sonic Cell (1½ year after the release).
I thinks some of my setting are wrong.
Check the MIDI parameters and tell me what they are now
. Something should be wrong over there...
Johan325

Post by Johan325 »

Find the problem. In the system meny. There is a “USB-MIDI Thru”
Set this to “ON” and it’s working again.
Can’t remember why I have put it to off. Maybe a duplicate thing. The old “Local Off” switch thing.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Johan325 wrote:Find the problem. In the system meny. There is a “USB-MIDI Thru”
Set this to “ON” and it’s working again.
Can’t remember why I have put it to off. Maybe a duplicate thing. The old “Local Off” switch thing.
Glad you discovered the issue