SonicCell (Fantom X) Piano waveform

Forum for SonicCell
arwenthalion

SonicCell (Fantom X) Piano waveform

Post by arwenthalion »

Hi guys, I have the question for owners of SonicCell (or Fantom X).

In some piano sounds, the two tones (C3 and Cis3) at a certain velocity range, sounds in patch clinking sound. It is only when these two tones (C3 and Cis3) are played and velocity range is between 91 -121. Above and below this range, it is OK.

I don´t know - is it a problem of SonicCell, waveform, or something else? What do you think?

Here is a link with sample of this problem (two octaves of piano patch, and then only the two tones- C3 and Cis3): http://www.arwenthalion.sk/downloads/pianotest.wav

Sounds, in which I found this problem:

Rich Grand
X Pure Grand
Studio Grand
First Choice
Rokkin PF

Other pianos are OK.

Thank you for your time and advice.
arwenthalion

Re: SonicCell (Fantom X) Piano waveform

Post by arwenthalion »

any idea? :-) just listen to the sample.
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

Sorry, I don't hear any kind of noise or disturbing sound there. As it should, the sample changes from a soft piano sample to a forte one when playing louder, with the usual hammer sound included, but I don't hear any additional noise. Did you check with different headphones? What IS interesting about the example, is the obvious 'jump' in the sample when playing the chromatic scale upwards. Here, the original sample from the Fantom X was probably cut down in the SonicCell not providing 88 samples per layer.
arwenthalion

Post by arwenthalion »

I have headphones AKG K240S and monitors Tannoy Reveal, and I hear this "clink" in both devices. It sounds like piano with additional bells :-) But only two tones - C3 and Cis3.

I hear it in this video too (1:06): "clink" or "ring" in some tones: http://www.arwenthalion.sk/downloads/soniccell.mov
specialplant

Post by specialplant »

The SRX 11 Complete Piano also has some keys which ring much more and have a longer sustain than others, it can be a natural characteristic of the original grand piano from which the sample was taken, as the strings and hammers do not sound even but each key has its own characteristic. So I think what you hear is a variation from key to key within the sample. As in the SonicCell the piano samples are cut down so that one sample serves two or more keys, such a cling or ring sound may spread over two or more keys while the original piano might have had it only in one key.
arwenthalion

Post by arwenthalion »

OK, thanks for your answer. Before several minutes, I heard some FantomX piano demos and it sounds the same. Maybe it's all about sampling as you wrote, and about my subjective feeling.