[Tutorial] How to install SonicCell drivers on Windows 10

Forum for SonicCell
RRAW

[Tutorial] How to install SonicCell drivers on Windows 10

Post by RRAW »

Hi, yesterday I accidentally installed Windows 10 on my pc. (somehow I managed to press 'install now or something while I wasn't looking.) After the installation, everything worked except for the SonicCell. I tried to install the drivers but it didn't work so after hours of googling and trying things out, I got it to work. I wrote this tutorial to help all of you out who want Windows 10 and the SonicCell to work together.

What are we going to do?
- Delete old SonicCell drivers (if you didn't do that yet)
- Disable driver installation signature checks (to install modified drivers)
- Download the official windows 8.1 x64 SonicCell driver
- Download the modified (.inf) driver of the SonicCell made by me
- Install stuff

*note that this tutorial is made specifically for x64 users, as I do not have enough time to modify the driver for x86 to work, install x86 windows, test it, blabla. If you really want it to work on x86 windows, send me a PM and I will tell you how I modified the drive so that you can make your own one to work with x86.

1) Delete old SonicCell drivers under windows if you still have it installed because of the upgrade.

2) Open command prompt as administrator
3) bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
4) Reboot

5) Download the official SonicCell driver for windows 8.1 x64 here http://roland.com/support/article/?q=do ... d=62483069
6) Download my modified driver that works on windows 10 here and extract it on your desktop. https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb735kg5ib5te ... 0.INF?dl=0

7) Install the official SonicCell drivers
When the installation starts asking you to plug in your SonicCell and turn it on, just do as it says and wait for a minute. Nothing will happen, or it will start to install the driver but it won't work.
8) Close the installation (it will say that the SonicCell won't work blabla, but just close the installation. Then it will ask you to remove the drivers. DO NOT REMOVE THE DRIVERS. Just close the installation.

9) Install modified driver made by me (.inf) file only.
Go to start, search for 'device manager' and open 'device manager'.
You will find the SonicCell there, but there is an '!' in the icon.
Double click on the icon and go the the tab 'driver'.
Click on 'update driver'.
Choose option 2 (Browse my computer for driver software
Set the path to the folder where you extracted the driver (.inf) file. Just to be safe, you can check 'include subfolders'.

10) Press next
11) Windows security will say: 'Windows can't verifiy the publisher of this driver software'.
That's true lol, because I edited the driver so it can't be verified anymore.
Just choose the second option 'Install this driver software anyway

12) Now, your driver should install. It might take a while but don't click it away.
If the soniccell icon is still not present under 'playback devices', then plug the usb in another port so it will get recognized. again.

13) Enable driver installation signature checks (gets rid of the stupid test watermark)
Open command promt as administrator
bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

14) Reboot

15) Congrats, it should work now!
PhilClark

Re: [Tutorial] How to install SonicCell drivers on Windows 1

Post by PhilClark »

Hi, I am wondering if your tutorial works with 32bit which I think I have? I am a bit dim when it comes to computers. I also wonder if I should reload windows 7 and get back to where I was. I really need SC to work for me. Regards Phil
SullivanBR

Post by SullivanBR »

I went through this step by step and I get an error when I try to install your inf file. It says:

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Any idea?

Thanks for looking into this issue.
f6eyo

Post by f6eyo »

I encountered the same problem as mentionned above. Can't find the file!! Any idea please ?
jamesbell

Post by jamesbell »

I have tried several times to install this driver with same results as others. I get the error message saying "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it"

It would be really wonderful if I could get this to work, otherwise my Sonic Cell is completely useless.
Appreciate the efforts of all who have tried it...
Attachments
This is a capture of the error.
This is a capture of the error.
Error.JPG (36.85 KiB) Viewed 19526 times
jamesbell

Post by jamesbell »

I'm very disappointed to find no responds to any of the posts on this topic, including my own. Is the original author listening? A comment from him on why his solution worked for him alone would be welcome. And I'd certainly like to know how the other respondents solved the issue for themselves. Did they go back to an earlier version of Windows? Did they simply give up? That would be hard to believe since the Sonic Cell is an expensive piece of equipment to just trash.

C'mon, guys.....let's hear some noise on this subject......
RRAW

Post by RRAW »

Hello guys,

My apologies for not letting anything know for such a long time. I completely forgot about this topic as I am a very busy art student. I just checked roland's official list on Windows 10 compatibality, and they state that there will be no official driver for the Soniccell on W10.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@PhilClark: I haven't tried my trick on 32 bit windows, but you could try. Since you say that you don't know much about computers I will try to make the .inf file for you and other people who need it for windows 32 bit. Just let me know, I will be more active on this forum.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@SullivanBR, f6eyo, & jamesbell
Have you found a solution yet? Try to disable 'Secure boot' in your UEFI before installing the driver.

I hope I can help you to get your soniccell back in action on w10.

Bless you all!
jamesbell

Post by jamesbell »

I have an older PC. Do I even have a UEFI?
BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

Since you say that you don't know much about computers I will try to make the .inf file for you and other people who need it for windows 32 bit. Just let me know, I will be more active on this forum.
Hello RRAW,
I would be exceedingly grateful if you could supply details for Win32 and my beloved Soniccell!
Many thanks for your kind offer!!

Yours hopefully in anticipation,
BlueNote
timclement

Post by timclement »

You can try editing the 32bit version of the RDIF1070.INF in the same way the 64bit file was modified:

Using a text editor, open the file sonic_w81d_v101/Files/32bit/RDIF1070.INF

Change line 35
%MfgName%=Roland,NTx86.6.2,NTx86.7

To
%MfgName%=Roland,NTx86

Change line 44
[Roland.NTx86.6.2]

To
[Roland.NTx86]

Save the file and follow the install steps provided by RRAW. The above steps take the place of RRAW's step 6

I don't have a 32 bit version of Windows 10 to verify this works.
BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

Thank you very much indeed Tim!

Whoever tries this first on Win32 please let us know how you get on!
timclement

Post by timclement »

The error messages reported in this thread could be due to Secure Boot enabled in your BIOS.

It is possible to disable Secure Boot in your BIOS and re-run the "bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF” that was failing. If the command completes successfully continue with the instructions as documented.

Here is some more info about disabling secure boot. There are some screenshots for HP, ASRock , AUSUS and Acer bios versions.
http://www.windowspasswordsrecovery.com ... 8-1-8.html

Here is a how-to doc for disabling secure boot on a surface. It is approx the same procedure as disabling on other laptops (enter bios, disable secure boot, save settings , exit bios)
http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-to-disa ... ro-devices

I tested the documented procedure (in this thread) for installing on my Surface Pro with Windows 10. The procedure works a written, with the exception that Secure Boot has to be disabled prior to step 10.

I further tested re-enabling Secure Boot after the Sonic Cell drivers are installed. The Sonic Cell driver continues to work.

Here are the complete steps that I have performed on both a Microsoft Surface Pro and a Dell Latitude laptop running 64 bit version of Windows 10. I just added pre/post actions rather than re-numbering the procedure.

Pre Install Action Required – Verify Secure Boot is disabled in your computer BIOS – The procedure varies depending upon your computer manufacturer. It is easy to find how-to documents on the internet.

1) Delete old SonicCell drivers under windows if you still have it installed because of the upgrade.
2) Open command prompt as administrator (use the search/Cotana box in the lower left of Windows 10 task bar, type in "cmd.exe" and when it highlights, press <CTRL>-<SHIFT>-<ENTER>
3) copy and paste the following two commands in order, one at a time:
bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
4) Reboot
5) Download the official SonicCell driver for windows 8.1 x64 here http://roland.com/support/article/?q=do ... d=62483069
6) Download the RRAW modified driver file that works on Windows 10 here and extract it on your desktop. https://www.dropbox.com/s/eb735kg5ib5te ... 0.INF?dl=0
7) Install the official SonicCell drivers. When the installation starts asking you to plug in your SonicCell and turn it on, just do as it says and wait for a minute. Nothing will happen, or it will start to install the driver but it won't work.
8) Close the installation (it will say that the SonicCell won't work blah blah, but just close the installation. Then it will ask you to remove the drivers. DO NOT REMOVE THE DRIVERS. Just close the installation.
9) You now need to navigate to the subfolder in the official Roland Driver folder containing the file “RDIF1070.INF” and replace it with the RRAW modified version (if you extracted it to your desktop and your user name is [YOURNAME], it will likely be in the location C:\Users\[YOURNAME]\Desktop\sonic_w81d_v101\sonic_w81d_v101\Files\64bit\Files):
a) open the extracted folder with the official Roland 8.1 driver (if you extracted it to your desktop, double click on the folder named “sonic_w81d_v101”).
b) open (double click) the subfolder also named “sonic_w81d_v101”
c) open (double click) the subfolder named “Files”
d) open (double click) the subfolder named “64bit”
e) open (double click) the subfolder named “Files”
f) rename RDIF1070.INF to RDIF1070.INF.old (if you ever need to repeat the process, this old file can be renamed back)
g) copy the modified RRAW version of RDIF1070.INF into the …\64bit\Files subfolder.
10) Install the now modified official Roland driver:
a) use the search/Cortana box in the task bar to find “device manager” and open it (hit enter when it highlights).
b) You will find the SonicCell device listed there, but there is an '!' in the icon.
c) Double click on the icon and go to the tab 'driver'.
d) Click on 'update driver'.
e) Choose option 2 (Browse my computer for driver software
f) Set the path to the folder with the modified Roland driver (likely C:\Users\[YOURNAME]\Desktop\sonic_w81d_v101). Check 'include subfolders'.
g) Press next.
h) Windows security will say: 'Windows can't verifiy the publisher of this driver software'.
That's true lol, because you’ve added the RRAW edited file so it can't be verified anymore. Just choose the second option 'Install this driver software anyway
11) Now, your driver should install. It might take a while but don't click it away. If the soniccell icon is still not present under 'playback devices', then plug the usb in another port so it will get recognized. again.
12) Re-enable driver installation signature checks (gets rid of the stupid test watermark): Open command promt as administrator as in step 2 above and run the two commands in sequence:
bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
14) Reboot
Post Install (optional) - Test Sonic Cell is working and Re–enable Secure Boot
joelfan

Post by joelfan »

Great post!
BlueNote

Post by BlueNote »

Hello joelfan,

Just wondering if you actually did this on 32-bit Windows by any chance?

Thank you!
Bluenote
joelfan

Post by joelfan »

it is Win10 64bit