Importing my custom XV-5080 patches?

Forum for SonicCell
tomatoKetchup

Importing my custom XV-5080 patches?

Post by tomatoKetchup »

Hello,
With a view of downsizing my setup, I bought a Sonic Cell to replace my XV-5080. I was hoping I could somehow import all my custom-made XV-5080 patches into the Sonic Cell, exporting the formers as SMF files using the official editor.
That did not work unfortunately.

I also thought I had seen somewhere online a format converter between the XV and Fantom series, but now I can't seem to find it. Have I imagine that? Any other ideas, workarounds to achieve this?
anotherscott2022

Re: Importing my custom XV-5080 patches?

Post by anotherscott2022 »

I don't know of any XV/Fantom converter. The closest thing I can think of is that Roland released a downloadable sound set that gave Fantom-S and Fantom-X users all the XV-5080 sounds, though they did warn that some sounds would be approximations based on using similar-sounding Fantom waveforms, since the actual identical XV-5080 waveform did not exist in the Fantoms. But regardless, that was only for factory patches. Roland did not release any tool to convert your own XV-5080 patches. Whether some third-party may have come out with something, I don't know, but it's nothing I've ever seen.
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Hi
I wrote a conversion program from XV to FanS/FanX to SonicCell that also took into account a lot of the SR-JV80 card's waves that were copied to SRX cards.
Roland seemed to constantly change the DAC and output circuits as well as the compression encoding for the waves on later models, so there is some differences to the sound.
Some of the waves were not carried to all of the newer models so a 'best fit' approach is taken with a lot of help from the folks here making choices.
The XV-5080 had the best set of FX of any of these synths (IMO) and as I don't have a XV-5080 (I have a XV-3080) I'm not sure what might happen so adjustment will be necessary with the SC editor.
That being said most people have liked the results and I am happy to convert the patches for you, leaving you to make small tweaks (hopefully) with the SC editor to the waves and FX etc.
The program was written for my use and so it is NOT in a fit state to leave home - I takes me a while to remember how to work it.
PM me if you are interested.

All the best
Royce
tomatoKetchup

Post by tomatoKetchup »

rcraven wrote: 04:11, 6 May 2022 Hi
I wrote a conversion program from XV to FanS/FanX to SonicCell that also took into account a lot of the SR-JV80 card's waves that were copied to SRX cards.
Roland seemed to constantly change the DAC and output circuits as well as the compression encoding for the waves on later models, so there is some differences to the sound.
Some of the waves were not carried to all of the newer models so a 'best fit' approach is taken with a lot of help from the folks here making choices.
The XV-5080 had the best set of FX of any of these synths (IMO) and as I don't have a XV-5080 (I have a XV-3080) I'm not sure what might happen so adjustment will be necessary with the SC editor.
That being said most people have liked the results and I am happy to convert the patches for you, leaving you to make small tweaks (hopefully) with the SC editor to the waves and FX etc.
The program was written for my use and so it is NOT in a fit state to leave home - I takes me a while to remember how to work it.
PM me if you are interested.

All the best
Royce
Hi Royce.

We were already in touch via PM I had sent you some patches to convert but you never got back to me. :D
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

Sorry, I missed it.
File converted - Check your PM.
If it didn't get through I'll send you a zip file with all the different types of files.

All the best
Royce
tomatoKetchup

Post by tomatoKetchup »

rcraven wrote: 07:22, 7 May 2022 Sorry, I missed it.
File converted - Check your PM.
If it didn't get through I'll send you a zip file with all the different types of files.

All the best
Royce
Hi Royce. Sent you a PM about this, please check your inbox. Cheers!
vsyn7425

Post by vsyn7425 »

Hi Royce I am fascinated by the program you have created to convert XV sounds ultimately to SonicCell ones but I was wondering would it be possible to convert the basic banks of the XV (i.e. no srx cards involved) directly to Sonic Cell format?

There are so many good sounds in the XV it would be great to have them available in the Sonic Cell!