RD-800 System Program Version 1.04 Bug List (+ Wish List)

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
bgiles

RD-800 System Program Version 1.04 Bug List (+ Wish List)

Post by bgiles »

Roland have recently released System Version 1.04 for the RD-800, so this thread supersedes my previous thread [RD-800 System Program Version 1.03 Bug List (+ Wish List)]

Please feel free to post any potential bugs you find, or features that would be nice to have for discussion.

As well as fixing bugs previously reported, Roland have added a great new feature in the latest version of the software;
A numeric-keypad input function was added to Tone selection and Live Set selection.

This thread should be confined to version v1.04, as some of the earlier bugs may have been resolved.

How to know check the system program version of your RD-800.
1. Hold down [ DEC ] and [ INC ] and switch on the power to the unit.
2. After verifying the displayed version, switch off the power.

Bugs/anomalies in Program Version 1.04:

Tones 265-322: E.ORGAN's
Symptom: 'Tremolo/Amp Simulator' setting is set to '[1] Normal' instead of '[5] Rotary', which would be the expected setting for E.ORGAN's. In comparison, the 10 'Tone Wheel Organs' numbered 255-264, are set to 'Rotary' as expected.
Reported: 9th July 2014 to Roland.co.uk
Verification: Awaited

Wish list

Layer/Zone Edit short-cut & Menu access
1. Enable direct access to the 'Layer Edit' screen ('Live Set Edit' > 'Layer Edit') using the right cursor key from the home screen.
2. Likewise, allow the left cursor to exit the this menu, or any sub-menu...
Currently there is an inconsistency in that, whilst the right cursor will take you from a menu into a sub-menu (same as using the ENTER key), the left cursor does not take you out, instead the user has to press the EXIT/SHIFT key.
Even in sub-menus like 'Individual Note Voicing' where the left/right cursor keys are used to navigate, the left cursor should be able to take you out and back to the previous menu.
bgiles

Re: RD-800 System Program Version 1.04 Bug List (+ Wish List

Post by bgiles »

Update to submissions

Bugs/anomalies in Program Version 1.04:

Tones 265-322: E.ORGAN's
Symptom: 'Tremolo/Amp Simulator' setting is set to '[1] Normal' instead of '[5] Rotary', which would be the expected setting for E.ORGAN's. In comparison, the 10 'Tone Wheel Organs' numbered 255-264, are set to 'Rotary' as expected.
Reported: 9th July 2014 to Roland.co.uk
Verification: 9th July 2014 - Acknowledged and submitted to HQ for consideration.

Enhancements to Program Version 1.04:

Layer/Zone Edit short-cut & Menu access
This is request for the return of a feature that was available on the RD-700, but seems to be absent on the RD-800, and would speed up access for users.
1. Enable direct access to the 'Layer Edit' screen ('Live Set Edit' > 'Layer Edit') using the right cursor key from the home screen.
2. Likewise, allow the left cursor to exit the this menu, or any sub-menu... Currently there is an inconsistency in that, whilst the right cursor will take you from a menu into a sub-menu (same as using the ENTER key), the left cursor does not take you out, instead the user has to press the EXIT/SHIFT key. Even in sub-menus like 'Individual Note Voicing' where the left/right cursor keys are used to navigate, the left cursor should be able to take you out and back to the previous menu.
Reported: 10th July 2014 to Roland.co.uk
Verification: 10th July 2014 - Acknowledged and submitted to HQ for consideration.
wsimard

Post by wsimard »

There's a few things I would like to see in the RD-800, as a RD700SX user since 8 years.

- Live set/layer edit using the right arrow
- Possibility to have a Pitch/Mod assign menu
- Possibility to assign the pitch bend to Leslie speed in live set mode
- I miss the GalaticSX tone

More to come
wsimard

Post by wsimard »

- More options (destination) for assignable pots...
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

wsimard wrote:There's a few things I would like to see in the RD-800, as a RD700SX user since 8 years.

- Live set/layer edit using the right arrow
- Possibility to have a Pitch/Mod assign menu
- Possibility to assign the pitch bend to Leslie speed in live set mode
- I miss the GalaticSX tone
- More options (destination) for assignable pots...
Hi wsimard, have you submitted your requests to Roland?

1. 'Live set/layer edit using the right arrow' should be easy for Roland the reintroduce, don't know why they omitted it. This has already been submitted to Roland.

2. 'Possibility to assign the pitch bend to Leslie speed in live set mode'. You can assign it to S1 or S2. I have mine set to the Tremolo - Rate knob.

3. 'More options (destination) for assignable pots...' can you be more specific?

I need someone to verify the following before I submit it as a potential bug:

On-board rhythms don't always match set tempo.
For example, selecting crotchet = 120, the first 81 rhythms are fine, then as you move onto the following, the tempo changes and no longer matches the setting;

082~089: Rockballad~Shuffle
104~105: Jazz
107~113: Swing~Jazz
115~118: Gospel~Blues
185~189: Waltz

Can someone confirm please.
wsimard

Post by wsimard »

Hello

About the assignable pots, I meant that would be nice if we could assign them to whatever parameter we want; not just the 127 midi CC. That would be nice if we could assign them to any effects parameters.

Also, what about being able to adjust the reverb send parameter for the rhythm part. I don't like having reverb on the metronome.

I know I have a lot of request, but I miss the possibility to edit all 16 parts (like on my 700SX).
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Hello wsimard
Considering the RD-800 is primarily a 'Stage Piano', I think the live master controller functions provided have been very generous in comparison with previous RD models.
We now have 4 assignable pots, 3 switches and 3 pedals.

According to the RD-800 MIDI Implementation manual CC91 is Effect 1 (Reverb Send Level), does this not work for you?

It's easy to assign parts 5-16 from the Sequencer using MSB & LSB values.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Have submitted the following to Roland UK as a potential anomaly in the current version of the system program.

On-board rhythms don't always match set tempo.
For example, selecting crotchet = 120, the first 81 rhythms are fine, then as you move onto the following, the tempo changes and no longer matches the setting;

082~089: Rockballad~Shuffle
104~105: Jazz
107~113: Swing~Jazz
115~118: Gospel~Blues
185~189: Waltz
lutefiasco

Post by lutefiasco »

This came up over on the PianoWorld forums, in the wish list department. It would be great to be able to pull up the list of live sets or tones that appears when you move the wheel -without changing the value by moving the wheel-
Amine

Re: RD-800 System Program Version 1.04 Bug List (+ Wish List)

Post by Amine »

Hi All,
my Roland RD 800 won't boot anymore even with message updated successfully from file R055_UPA.BIN. with parts 1/3 2/3 and 3/3
Thanks for any suggestions