RD-700gx

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
bmichels

RD-700gx

Post by bmichels »

I am looking for a stage piano that combine the fun of a synthe and the possibility to play clasical piano. So I therefore need a VERY VERY good piano touch and sound.

I also need the possibility ro easily record my play in the piano.

Does the new 700gx fit the bill ? Has someone tested its keyboard feel and Grand piano sound ? Does it has a sequenceur ?

many thanks in advance for your replies
V-CeeOh

Re: RD-700gx

Post by V-CeeOh »

Hi bmichels
Welcome to the Clan

I think nobody can tell you "how good" the RG-700GX is yet but I think I can give you some clues. Soundwise, Roland states that there is a
brand-new super expressive piano sound
. I think that this sound will be somewhat shared with the new Fantom-G but we'll have to listen first to know. There are also "SuperNatural" Electric Pianos also shared with the Fantom-G. Check the ARX-1/2 info and video to get a first idea HERE. Also , expect an awsome keytouch (at least for my taste) since the RD-700GX wil have the "PHAII Ivory Feel keyboard". I've already tryed this keyboard on other Roland pianos (RG-3/7, HP207) and this will be one of the main reasons why I'll be trading my Fantom-X8 for a G8 ;-)
The RD series have no recording capabilities, only playback. If you need to do sequencing/recording then maybe you should consider the Fantom-G8 but that is another story ;-)
bmichels

using a mini external recorder permanently connected to the

Post by bmichels »

The next RD-700gx (like Yam S90S or WawaiMP8) seems indeed perfect for me, except ... I really would like to record easily my playing for studying it.

Since it does not have a sequencer/recorder, is there an EASY solution by using a mini external recorder (NOT a PC ! )permanently connected to the Midi output of the keyboard, and fixed on the dash board ?

does it makes sence ? which recorder will you propose ? Will it be as easy as pressing recond like with a cheap CP300 ??

many tanks in advance
bmichels

Post by bmichels »

Are you sure that the FantonG8 has the same keyboard than the RD-700gx ?? Indeed, i tested a G8 in a shop, besides a YAM Xs8, and I found the G8 touch lighter and less "like an acoustic piano".

So I was disapointed by the touch of the G8 keyboard, and if the RD700gx has the same than I will definitively go for a Yamaha !

PS: may be it was "only" a X8 ??

anyway, the RD700gx PHAII keyboard is supposed to offer "escapement", while this is nOT mentioned on the FantomG specs ! !
Mauro Rosati

Post by Mauro Rosati »

You couldn't test a g8 since is not in the stores yet, and also the Fantom X has one of the best weighted action available, how can you tell that? Bah...
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Are you sure that the FantonG8 has the same keyboard than the RD-700gx ??
Yes, they both have the PHAII Ivory Feell keyboard but you are also correct - the RG-700GX also has the "escapement" feature not present on the G8.
PS: may be it was "only" a X8 ??
I don't know what you mean by "only a X8" but yes it must have been a X8 since the G8 is not available yet. I have a X8 and think, like Mauro said, it has one of the best (well, for me it actually is THE BEST) piano action keyboard on the market but I know this is a very personal issue so it's up to you to find out.