Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Cesarsound

Who will buy the RD-700GX ?

Post by Cesarsound »

Hello,
What your opinions about the RD700GX?
How much it will cost?
When it will be delivered?

It seems to be very nice keyboard, 256MB ROM, ARX Epiano, Organ Simulator Ivory Feel keybed.
I am seriously thinking about buying one instead of Fantom G.

Note:
the owner's manual is available here:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_supp ... iCncd=3425

Thanks.
GregC

Re: Who will buy the RD-700GX ?

Post by GregC »

I placed my order here in the US , 3 weeks ago

I am following up closely on a delivery date, I am hearing May 6

It could change

I am an RD fan, from the Rd700 to the SX. I am excited about the GX- a new piano sample plus the SuperNat'l EP's

The GX patch names are 80% identical to the SX- that suggests the GX is 80% identical to the SX, patch/sound wise. But who really knows for sure, at this point ?
The Audacity Works

Post by The Audacity Works »

I think the GX has the same new chip and audio engine as the Fantom G and Sonic Cell, so it should sound notably cleaner and punchier than the SX, even if many of the waveforms and patches are the same.

Elements of the ARX02 are included—I'm not sure how much manipulation there is, however.

The PHAII action with escapement is really something to behold. There isn't aftertouch, but I understand it's because of the difficulty in adding both escapement and aftertouch to the same mechanism. Fantom-G's PHAII action has aftertouch but no escapement, the RD-700GX has escapement but no aftertouch, so that would make sense.

What's weird is that the RD-700GX has four MIDI outs (since the USB port is seen as a separate MIDI out) but no sequencer. And only the first four zones can be sent out. Wish the Fantom guys would've stolen one of those extra ports (or two).
GregC

Post by GregC »

AW, good info.

The manipulation of the Supernat'l Ep on the GX will be in text/tab form
in the GX menu. Thats my take, FWIW

I am not aware of any digital stage piano having a sequencer. I can see why Roland wants to keep that distinction
Cesarsound

Post by Cesarsound »

Thanks for information Greg and AW.

GregC, being a RD700SX fan, what do you think about the drawbar organ simulator?
And the Leslie effects / overdrive, Is it convincing?
Comparing with the Motif ES (or XS), is it better?

Thank you.
GregC

Post by GregC »

The Hammonds/Leslie on the XS and SX are really very, very good

Its really hard to make a choice. I do like the SX organ's percussive bite.
Roland FX are also very strong and give ' movement '.

The XS Leslie FX seems more life like ( 145/147) to my ear
Joey

New technology <> old boards?!

Post by Joey »

I will make my switch from XV88 to RD700GX :) But I´m a little bit confused about this fact:

The Audacity Works: "I think the GX has the same new chip and audio engine as the Fantom G"

How can this be? New sound technology, but "old" SRX board slots?!?!

Thanks.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

I might buy it... cheaper than a G (or at least on the par with the smallest G in prices while having a full 88 keyb), still compatible with the SRX cards, 256 MB, nice keyboard, alpha-dial, USB-stick... who cares about internal sequencer? :)
stevie

Post by stevie »

The GX does seem like a nice board - certainly will be better than anything else about at the moment. Yam are yet to show their hand (S90XS)?

No sampler either (never was - it goes for the stage piano market), but then Roland seem to have forgotten that in the G too.

Sampling and sequencing can easily be handled elsewhere.

Now the interesting bit - other people have also commented, but it take SRX boards. I agree the GX will have the new sound chip, but it prooves that PURELY for marketing reasons Roland dropped them in the G to say that it's something new when it's not. Synth engines is probably virtually unchanged from the X except for the loss of 'user' multisampling? - don't get that either.

Joey - it's 'only' the DSP which has been upgraded, not the synth engiine. Hence why it's still got compartibility with SRX. Source ROM and patch data can still be the same. Once you move to an entirely new architecture, then your patch data needs to change - but the source ROM can still be identical. Motif XS is point in case.

Just to remind everyone, this Roland architecture has nearly been around for two decades. First appeared on the JV line back in the turn of the nineties.

Steve
smurf

Post by smurf »

Originally posted by: stevie

"Just to remind everyone, this Roland architecture has nearly been around for two decades. First appeared on the JV line back in the turn of the nineties."

Don't remind us.. Image
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

My first car had 1 engine, 4 wheels, 4 doors...
My actual car has 1 engine, 4 wheels, 4 doors....
Damm... I don't know what's up with the car manufacters. They keep using the very same architecture :-/
GregC

Post by GregC »

I go back to the JV days, too

I always thought the # 1 problem with the JV through the Fantom X series was OS file handling and OS file management

Having a new synth engine/sound chip is nice but if you have kludgy file management that is a big negative.

I never see anyone criticize OS file management so maybe its just me
:D

I was hoping Roland would simply blow the old architecture and start again with the " G"
stevie

Post by stevie »

"I was hoping Roland would simply blow the old architecture and start again with the " G" " - me too.

"I never see anyone criticize OS file management so maybe its just me " - do you or have you ever owned a Yamaha synth ;¬)

Hey VCO - you shouldn't drive about so much - it's bad for the planet ;¬)
GregC

Post by GregC »

LOL

Hey, I own the XS. I am very slowly adjusting to it. But the XS is not
' new ' or a breakthrough model. Its an extension of the ES.

I don't think the XS is comparable to the G. If it is, someone's job is on the line :D
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

stevie
My car is electrical, however, with very old architecture :-P

just joking ;-)