My " Audio Key " Rd700GX report

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
GregC

My " Audio Key " Rd700GX report

Post by GregC »

Per Roland: "Audio playback of .WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files via USB memory; easy onstage control with Audio Key feature"

USB Audio Enhancement
Play audio through the RD-GX directly from a USB memory key. Flexible file compatibility enables playback of Standard MIDI Files, .WAV, AIFF and MP3s. The "Audio Key" feature lets you use the bottom 15 keys for controlling start song, song length, etc.

Really ?

I can Only play .wav files using Audio Key. Yes, I am on a 4 yr old mac with a bunch of iTunes in mp4 ( apple) file format.

Well big shocker, the audio key software doesn't recognize mp4.

I also converted the mp4 songs to a CD- making them AIFF files.

Shocker, the audio key software doesn't recognize AIFF files either- the software gave me a generic warning message when I tried to insert the file

Being persistent and a little aggravated, I converted the mp4 files to WAV files. That was the ticket. The Audio Key software
' understood ' individual WAV files and I was able to assign it to a ' key ' . It is a fiddly process

So , after hours of screwing around and cracking the code, I was looking forward to manipulating my WAV files.

Hah. All I can do is play the WAV tune and stop it on my Rd700GX.
The audio quality is good. But I can't refer to a phrase , or a bridge or an instrument part. Or slow the tune down. Underwhelming.

It appears you have to pre-organize that capability as a set of
" Audio Files ". So how do I break up a song ( in WAV) and arrange that in 'Audio File '. I have no idea. No info in the manual.

Roland does include nine ' Audio Sets" so you can mess around or get an idea or 2 what " audio Key " is capable of. But no clue on how to break up a WAV file/tune

One more thing- some of my iTunes are ' protected '. In other words I cannot convert them to WAV. Nice

And I could not 'assign ' a simple midi file to a ' key'. Grrr

Maybe I am misunderstanding Audio Key. I can see some potential.
I expected a more complete feature

Any one else muck with this ?
javaj_

Re: My " Audio Key " Rd700GX report

Post by javaj_ »

Yes, it works on standard files but is only for full song playback. I can see Roland developing this further one day- maybe support Sonar files directly (although that won't help you on a mac). MP3 is not MP4- so it shouldn't be suprising that it doesn't work. Actually, I found some mp3's didn't work either. When I tried to playback certain tracks converted from itunes to mp3- my Sonic Cell completely bypassed the files. Only playing other mp3 files. So it does appear that the codec that is used to compress the original files plays an important part.
But, for a lot people- wav or aiff is the way to go for the best fidelity- you will just need to try different encodings of AIFF to see what "sticks".
GregC

Post by GregC »

Thanks for relaying your experience

i found it amusingly short sighted that Roland didn't consider mp4 format

I guess Apple is not popular enough
:D
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I tested the Audio Key feature in the RD-700GX and I thinks it's fun to use. It works great if you want to rehearse your favorite tunes or if you want some special backgroud. I would not consider using it professionally. If that was the case I would get ... a Fantom ;-)
Yes you do need some time to prepare the files but I think the Audio Key Utility is simple and straighforward enough. About breaking a wav (the only one I tested btw) I think any audio software like "Audacity" would do.
Collo

Post by Collo »

G'day GregC,

After reading your post I am left feeling rather dejected. I purchased the RD300 GX after much research including lengthy discussions with Music Shop sales staff. I explained that I wished to move away from the acoustic piano I owned and sought a keyboard which could provide "accompaniment" to songs as I played. (This was/is new territory for me). I explained that I wanted to get the feeling of "playing with a band".
In essence, I was told this machine could have me do this by allowing me to "play along" with MIDI files.

So, a week later after fumbling thru a manual which has proven damn awkward to navigate, and then running my utility key software; I get to the moment of dragging a MIDI file to a new audio file set I've created, only to find IT WON'T BLOODY WELL DROP!

I began a search of the net to shed some light and I stumbled upon your post. A bitter-sweet discovery.

Unfortunately, it's looking as if I spent a shit load of money on the wrong tool for the job.

Is the only option to convert the MIDI to a wav file?

The MIDI files will play back beautifully thru the keyboard via USB and the SONG key but then the keyboard won't sound. Can you get around this?

Any feedback most welcome...
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Hi Collo and welcome to the Clan.

The MIDI files don't drop in the audio file set because they are ... MIDI. MIDI and audio are totally diferent things and the Audio Key function only works with audio files.
However te RD can stream MIDI files directly from the USB drive. I have it working over here. I don't understand why you say the keyboard won't sound. Could you explain a little further?
jperiod

Playing along with Midi files on the RD700/300GX

Post by jperiod »

Following up on a post made by a previous user about playing back midi songs, can you play along with midi files as they are playing on the RD keyboards? Or, when you play midi files are the key inputs disabled?

THanks
GregC

Post by GregC »

I haven't visited this forum for a while. I didn't realize a specific forum was finally set up until a few days go

:D uhh

I am pretty sure you can only play the same ' tones ' used in the the midi file, while the midi file is running
V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

I am pretty sure...
Well, you should not be so sure ;-)

Actually you can have the keyboard totally independent from the MIDI file and so not beeing "attached" to the MIDI file "tones".

- Go to FUNCTION-EDIT
- Go to SYSTEM
- Use » or « to look for PART MODE
- Select "16+PERF" or "16 PART"
- Select "16+PERF" if you want the keyboard independent
GregC

Post by GregC »

why , thank you

that puts $3000 in my pocket

Gracias