Did I make a mistake buying the Roland RD-700GX?

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
dako777

Did I make a mistake buying the Roland RD-700GX?

Post by dako777 »

I'm 17 years old, and I really want to get into performing. Nearly all summer I researched possible keyboards that I could use for performing. I had my eye set on a particular one: the Roland RD-700 GX. I heard this was top of the line stage piano, best for performing, great sounds, easy to use, decent price. I ended up buying it, but what happened was I started looking at other keyboards after that: Yamaha CP-300, Nord Stage, and the Fantom-G. I hear these keyboards all seem to beat the GX in sounds and other things. I also heard the Fantom-G is way better for performing even more than the GX. My question was: did I make a mistake? Did I buy it too soon? Is it really that bad compared to the others?
javaj_

Re: Did I make a mistake buying the Roland RD-700GX?

Post by javaj_ »

nah, you are fine. Welcome to Gear Lust, Music Pron, etc etc. This happens to all of us. Heck, look at all those Fantom-G owners who are trading/selling their G's now (they got bit by Gear Lust as well).
Now, what you do have is a fabulous digital piano with the best keybed (better than the G supposedly as it does have escapement). So, enjoy what you have and consider it a GREAT controller for your future studio/performance rig.
For example, your next purchase should be some SRX cards for your paino- that will give you some of those goodies you are lusting for from the other boards.
Maybe buy a Sonic Cell or another sound module to expand your sounds.
But don't regret your GX- you are very lucky to have one (I wish I could have had something like that at 17- I think I was still amazed at my little dinky PSR keyboard- but man- it had midi and that was just way cool back then).

Now, go lust and be content with your board- it's the start of something good.
Oh, and darn it- make some music now!
da-man

Post by da-man »

yea at 17 i had some 4 note polophonic keyboard that had 16 sounds that sounded like midi without wavetable synthesis.

I was 30 before I owned a Casio Synth workstation and 40 before I got a Fantom x8.

Good things come to those who wait......

dako...... don't panic.... if you did your research then stand by your decision. It is normal human process to second guess your decisions. I second guessed my decision on a Fantom x8 plenty of times but 3 years later I still am happy and like you did a lot of research first.

there has been plenty of good music made 20 years ago on instruments that pale in comparison to what we have today yet it was good music.
christo65

Post by christo65 »

Both javaj and da-man are right, just a normal case of gear envy. It'll pass. The main thing is that you PLAY at every opportunity. To be honest I believe WAY TOO MUCH gets made over which board is better, this or that, and too many players convince themselves that if they only had 'one of those' they'd sound just how they always wanted to sound. The reality is that if they just PRACTISED and dug into the rigs they have most of their problems would be solved. Most important rule of musicianship, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! Good luck mate,

Christo65
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Dako777,
The guys before me said it all but I couldn't resist to mention that,
Da-man couldn't be more right when he says:
**"there has been plenty of good music made 20 years ago on instruments that pale in comparison to what we have today yet it was good music."**

And you could be sure that, despite other gear that could do the trick, you have a hell of a board !!! the top of the Roland stage pianos and one of the best around (I'm a Roland Fan, so the other brands are not so good... ;-) )

Enjoy it and make good music with it, which are the 2 most important things !!

Take care
PauloF
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

Hi Dako777,

All these folks are correct.
You did your research and you thought about it, then you bought the board that you felt best met your needs at that time.

Gear lust is inevitable and we all get it.

Over time your needs probably will change. At that point you can add another board, sound module or whatever you then feel you need to get the results you want.

For now, relish your new baby and enjoy the lift it should give your playing. You've got a top quality instrument that was what you wanted.

Oh yeah, and practice for at least 20 minutes a day. And if you're too busy one day, just play a few chords.

Good luck
Andy
pianoplayer100

Did you make a mistake???

Post by pianoplayer100 »

HEY Young keyboard man,
The instrument is great, just be sure to use it stereo, with two amps, be sure to experiment with the piano sounds and try using the control pedal live, give it time it's a great instrument
dougdixon

Post by dougdixon »

Hi mate,
I use to work in a music shop selling these thing.I sold Korgs, Yamahas And Rolands ect. We sold more RD700's then any other make or model and during the times when we didn't have any customers in the shop and I could play any keyboard on the market, i always ended up on the RD700.
It's Fantastic!!!!!
milsnips

Post by milsnips »

I also just bought a RD700GX over the weekend and couldn't be happier. Its got a great sound and does just what i need it for.

the more you read reviews on the net, it just fills your head with unnecessary crap, best just play the instrument and thats it!