RD-700GX

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
acre

RD-700GX

Post by acre »

Greetings all, I'm new.

I have the RD-700GX and have set up a split voicing, saved as a "Set-Up." I have an organ sound on the Upper One zone slider and a bass guitar on the Lower One zone slider. The Leslie speaker effect is applied to the whole keybed, bass guitar included. How do I make it affect only the organ part (Upper One)? I've searched the instructions for hours and can't see how it's done. Many thanks........Lee
Jon__

Re: RD-700GX

Post by Jon__ »

if i remember right, you have to go into edit->control and look for multi effects, one option should say effect all zones or something. I have found a control for this and it is in one of the menus in the edit screen, sorry i can't help you anymore.
acre

Post by acre »

Hey Jon...

Thanks for chiming in. I'll give that a try. Seems I've been there before and didn't see any difference. I'll keep you posted. Thanks........Lee
acre

Post by acre »

Guess that doesn't work Jon. Any other ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.......Lee
acre

Post by acre »

Figured it out Jon. I'm off to rehearsal but I'll post the procedure for all tomorrow. Thanks.....Lee
acre

Post by acre »

Here it is Jon:

The goal is to have an Organ voice on Upper One and a Bass Guitar on Lower One (LW1). We want the Rotary Effect for the organ to stop at the split point, so the Bass Guitar is unaffected. Here's the procedure:

1) Go to SET-UP.
2) In the display, cursor down to highlight "LW1".
3) EDIT.
4) Go to PART PARAMETER.
5) Cursor down to the very bottom, where you enable/disable various functions.
6) Cursor right, to the MODULATION check box.
7) Play a bass note and hit your switch pedal to make the Rotary Effect turn off. Hold it there. (My pedal is plugged into the FC1 port on the back).
8) Disable or clear the check-box for MODULATION. This makes the piano remember the last FC1 port setting (OFF), and when you clear the check box, the FC1 pedal doesn't affect the LW1 zone. In essence, you've turned off MODULATION CONTORL as far as that part is concerned.
9) SET-UP WRITE.

There you have it! Thanks again for your response Jon....Lee
Jim Covington

what other things have you discovered on your GX?

Post by Jim Covington »

Your instructional post was extremely helpful. Much more than the writers of the Roland instruction manual. Would you be willing to share more information?

I certainly [ and am sure many others in this forum ]would welcome any help and discussion via e-mail that you would be willing to share.

thanks
acre

Post by acre »

Hey Jim!

Thanks for the nice compliment! I'm really no great wizz on this machine yet but I do love its sound. There's nothing like it on the market. I don't like the weight but that's a decent trade-off for the tone.

I'd be glad to help where I can. The manual is pretty good but you're right when you say there are things that you just can't find. This latest little trick was discovered mainly by logic and inspection. Yes please, send me any requests and I'll try my best to help. Best regards......Lee B.

P.S. One other thing, Jim. I'm in the process of obtaining my Technical Writing certificate. I graduate in June of this year. If my procedures are difficult to understand, please let me know! (LOL)......Lee
Jim Covington

Does anyone know how we can send private e-mails through thi

Post by Jim Covington »

There are a number of people with knowledge that I would like to discuss music and tech, but more in depth through private e-mails so that the forum doesn't get clogged up nor abused in any manner.

thank you...
christo65

Post by christo65 »

Hi All,

I'm new here and as a new RD-700GX owner, glad to have found you. I have to say it was hard to find a forum for the new Roland model.

Seeing it is Roland's flagship performance keyboard, I wonder whether the moderators would consider starting a dedicated thread for the RD-700GX rather than having us all simply relegated to the 'Other Roland Gear' section? What do others think?

If not, would anyone be interested in seeing a dedicated forum exclusively for the RD-700GX being started?

Looking forward to meeting you all in time.

Chris
Jim Covington

I concur with your thoughts RE: GX

Post by Jim Covington »

There should be a separate thread for the GX as there is for the Fantom. I believe if those of us who use this new Roland marvel were to each present that idea to the moderators individually, it could be the clout needed to spur the start the creation.
Lee has been very helpful in outlining a 'fix' for a split issue in a clear and concise manner. If all of us keep communicating and sharing bits and pieces of information as we delve deeper into this keyboard, it should help immensely. That is what I found helpful years ago when Roland brought out the KR-4500 and the A-90. Unfortunately, Roland has a habit of introducing an excellent product, then leaving everyone hanging. Many a time I have suggested to Total Training that a great service would be rendered if they would create short quick DVDs on 'How to' for Roland equipment... seems to be falling on deaf ears. There's a possible money maker for you Lee.... with your Technical Writing skills and all.
I ran into an issue late last night regarding the ability to record the rhythm track with the assignment of Scat to the rhythm set. I found it played through the speakers with interesting results, but when it came time to record it to a track in Digital Performer, it was combined with a strange thumping piano sound layered on top. Any thoughts anyone?

Anyway, Chris welcome to the only place of merit that I have found so far that speaks to 'anything' Roland. I contacted the creator of the Roland Clan and expressed the need within the forum to have the ability to send private e-mails. He assured me the thought is 'in the works'. He has many other ideas as well. I am encouraged that he has our best interests at heart. In the mean time, if any of the GX users would like to share additional music information, or would like to discuss the music industry regarding the last 45 years, my e-mail is musicmanjim@gmail.com
christo65

Post by christo65 »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the prompt reply and your welcoming comments. For the record, especially for those who would like to make contact regarding the issue of creating a separate RD-700GX thread, here is the profile of the Roland Clan Forum Administrator if you wish to do so.

http://forums.rolandclan.info/index.php ... me=Artemiy

Personally, having set up my share of similar forums in the past (Ducati owners, local communities, etc..) that not only should there be a Category for the RD-700GX but within it, there should be some Sub-Categories to make posting and retrieving information as simple and efficient as it can be.

Perhaps the User Manual Table of Contents would be a good place to start looking to determine what the Sub-Categories should be named. Perhaps something else entirely would be better. Feel free to suggest what you think would work best for all.

These are just my thoughts based on my experiences of forums that have had both well constructed hierarchies and those without. I have usually found the latter become increasingly frustrating to use as they grow larger.

What do other owners think?

Thanks for reading this.

Cheers,

Chris