RD700GX Supernatural epianos - updates?

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
orangefunk

RD700GX Supernatural epianos - updates?

Post by orangefunk »

One of the big disappointments of the GX was the Supernatural epianos... they just don't sound or respond like a rhodes/wurly or whatever...

As a rhodes player of 20 years now I know I am somewhat fickle but I love the rhodes on somethign like the Nord Compact Stage and even the one in Logic so its really disappointing to play the GX ones...

Just wondering if the possibility for an update is in the works (esp as I can't imagine too many ARX boards being sold if this is the same implementation).. or is the SN stuff in ROM?
christo65

Re: RD700GX Supernatural epianos - updates?

Post by christo65 »

Orangefunk: I am not totally impressed with the factory settings of the Supernatural EP sounds either. I have heard worse before on other models too, but I think Roland could have done a lot better in creating some classic Rhodes sounds that everybody wants, not just some middle of the road, 'Safety First' type patches.

Having said that, I have only briefly tried to tweak the Supernatural 1 sound and yet was able to achieve something fantastic, at least IMHO. It's really Mk1 sounding, like a sort of dirty clicky, slightly 'out' sound with nice chorus FX and more. Think kind of early 'Ray Charles' and you'll get the picture. I've even set the action to respond to what I recall a Mk1 should feel like. I don't claim that it's perfect in any way but I really dig it and look forward to getting under the hood more in future. And all that on my first attempt which took less than 10 minutes.

In time, I'm sure more users will delve into the settings and create some great patches that will get shared around. Why not have a go and see what you come up with yourself?

I'm not too sure what the best way to get the sound I've created out and onto the net (hopefully here somewhere) to share but if I figure it out, I'll upload it. Don't hold your breath waiting though, could be a while yet! Maybe the attachment function of this forum would let me do it? Anyone know?

Good luck with the GX. Get your hands dirty and see what you can create.
orangefunk

Post by orangefunk »

HI Christo,

Yeah, I was one of the early adopters of the GX (April 2008 I think) and really dug into the EP parameters stuff.. but still unsatisfied... I got some ok results by going a bit crazy with fx and got a nice Hal Galper rhodes sound (using leslie!).

But the way the keyboard reacts to the tone just seems odd to me... its a little like the old Yamaha P80 rhodes sound at times...

I also have the SRX-12 card and prefer that to be honest.. .though even that doesn't sound fantastic either...

Cheers
O
christo65

Post by christo65 »

Orangefunk: I don't profess to be any sort of genius when it comes to sound editing but to me, it all seems very subjective. Amplifiers, speakers and playing style and chord voicings impact on how good a sound can appear to the listener. Not to mention of course that every Rhodes keyboard varies incredibly in tone from one to another.

Where exactly do you feel the Supernatural sounds are inadequate and what 'kinds' of sounds are you looking for? Maybe some other members can shed some light on your problems or even better, perhaps some with more knowledge than me could advise whether sound patches can be shared across this forum via the attachment feature and if so, how to do it.
orangefunk

Post by orangefunk »

I think its in the envelope and mainly the attack and release stages... some of the notes sound like they have no percussive attack on them and a weird Yamaha P80 release..

the tone also seems to change across the keyboard... a real rhodes does that too.. but its not the same thing... its just plain wrong sounding... hard to describe on a forum... ;-)

I'll get back to it at some point (it is in storage since August as I just emigrated to Norway) in the next few weeks.

A rhodes can sound different from another rhodes but usually in my eperience they all sound the same if set up the same...

All my rhodes in my posession have sounded the same (1976, 1980, 1981) probably because I tend to set it up the same for all those years...

I think the really early rhodes 1967-70 sounds a lot different though due to the tine material and felt hammers...
christo65

Post by christo65 »

Hi Orangefunk,

I get where you are coming from on the attack aspect but I don't get the P80 release reference. Are you sure that has nothing to do with your amplifier settings / speaker set up?

I find a vast amount of difference through the Behringer KFX 1800 that I use depending on settings in relation to sound. Have yet to find ONE setting that seems to please me for all sounds. I need to modify it when I change from piano to EP or to organ, if I really want to be fussy or am recording.

I think time will resolve most of these issues as more users get involved here and post their patches and settings. I really love the release sound on the Rhodes sound I created. I have almost overdone it (but it's still cool), but there is a setting which allows you to add a sort of key 'creaking sound' on release like the old Rhodes had when they became a bit worn out - it's wicked!

The novelty may not have worn off yet but I am really loving it and a couple of guitarists I played with recently commented on how good it sounded with out me even asking what they thought of it. I was happy with that!

We need to encourage more new RD700-GX owners to join this forum and those that are lurking should start posting. We need more activity in this place!

Cheers guys!
christo65

Post by christo65 »

Orangefunk: What amp and speaker set up are you using? Just curious...
orangefunk

Post by orangefunk »

Atm nothing.. because I'm still awaiting delivery (frustrating)

But back in August I was using a HK Audio 600 for live and Mission speakers in the studio

Mostly I used it on headphones

But since then I got ADAM A7 monitors... haven't used them yet!

About P80 release... I think some words may have moved as I use the touch pad mostly... I think the GX epiano actually sounds a lot like a dynamic P80 epiano... actually the basic tone is closer to the felt rhodes than the later ones...

I agree... there needs to be a better user group of RD fans... would be nice to share some setups!
orangefunk

Post by orangefunk »

repeated post
Helene

Weak SUPERNATURAL E.-Piano Presets

Post by Helene »

Hi,

I am looking for the Blues Brothers`Ray Charles E-Piano Sound on "Shake your Tailfeather".
The Preset-E-Piano-Sounds of the RD-700 GX are not convincing, but I am sure that with the Supernatural-Features it will be possible to improve the Sounds to come closer to the original.

Can anyone of the RD-700 GX users or any other SUPERNATURAL-Feature-Keyboard User post their detailed and specific suggestions for SUPERNATURAL-settings (Tone Type, Bar Angle, Pickup Distance, Bell/Thump, Bell Character, Damper Noise, Key Off Reso, HUM Noise, Tuning Type, Effect Type and settings, Amp Type and settings)?

Any Idea about a forum or place in the internet where this kind of information is already shared?