SONAR LE -> Recording for begginers

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
ttyczyns

SONAR LE -> Recording for begginers

Post by ttyczyns »

Hi,

could you please tell me what do I need to start to record my RD-700 GX by means of the USB cable and SONAR LE application. At the moment I connected my Piano to the computer via USB and then I choose the "midi only" project in the SONAR LE application. Now I can see some points (notes) when I push the "record" in the SONAR LE but I can't hear anything when I click "play".

Do I need any additional hardware or maybe a file with a piano wav or something else?

Please be patient, I am not experienced at all (in terms of that).

Regards
Tomek
dbijoux

Re: SONAR LE -> Recording for begginers

Post by dbijoux »

I think tjf_inc's previous post covered it step by step, maybe your Sonar or the tracks are not set to output to the RD.
ttyczyns

Post by ttyczyns »

Thank you for your answer.

I have read the previous post and (if I understand) I need the .ins file to set "play back" - does it mean my RD-700 will play a MIDI information which I have recorded?

If yes, it is not I would like to do :(, because in fact I have recorded only a MIDI information - not Roland soune/tone (piano).

I am wondering if it is any method to record a Roland sound not MIDI notes using USB (and than you know - wiring it to wav or mp3 file).

I have found that there is a Sound Font and than you need an additiona SB card and a Sound Font file (which 'recognize' recorded MIDI notes and replace it with it's tone colour)... In that case - first of all - you need a SB card, secondly you need to find a Sound Font file which might have worse quality piano.

Summing up: my question is - is it possible to record Roland tones/sound (piano) using only USB cable and SONAR LE application?

t
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

USB is only used for MIDI data.

Can you still record audio with Sonar LE and what you have?
- Probably.

Will it sound (as) good (as it could)?
- Probably not.

How would you record audio?
- Plug your RD audio output into the sound card input(mic) of your computer.

A better option, as I mentioned in the other thread, is to buy a true 'audio interface' for your computer. SB and Sound Font stuff is for computer games, if you want serious digital audio production you'll need hardware to make it happen.
ttyczyns

Post by ttyczyns »

Hi,

>>SB and Sound Font stuff is for computer games I just play MIDI and record .wav simultaneously on the same computer. That's all. The effect is nice :).

Now the quality is much better than the recording via Mic. input. in a notebook. Of course the general assumption is: SB card and Sound Font necessery...

Perhaps there is somebody who advice me something else ( what might be more easy than loading SF to SB).

regards
t
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I'm generalizing, of course, no offense to your setup.

but, now you are talking about MIDI again tho. You asked about recording audio from your RD700 into Sonar, not playing Steinway Grand soundfonts on the computer soundcard. I don't doubt that has a nice sound.

I guess we agree tho, the mic inputs that come with your computer leave much room for improvement. :)

ps. There isn't an easier way than plugging in direct.