Running XLR and quarter inch simultaneously?

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Funkhead

Running XLR and quarter inch simultaneously?

Post by Funkhead »

Hi, I've been trying to figure out a way to monitor myself onstage independent of the band or main soundboard. And I was noticing that when I run my RD700GX in stereo from the XLR (balanced outs) i can still steal a quarter inch out and send it to a powered monitor. Is there any problem with using this onstage as a self monitor (ie, does it steal bits or sound from the main output etc???) Anyone ever tried this? I'm always having a hard time hearing myself and if it didn't compromise the sound in any way would love using this on stage!
dbijoux

Re: Running XLR and quarter inch simultaneously?

Post by dbijoux »

I don't have the RD700 but can't see how it would 'steal' bits or signal from the main output. If both outputs are hot, this should be fine. It seems like it would be an easy test.

Another possibility I've heard of before is plugging into a small mixer before you go to the house system. This would give you more options for connections and dedicated volume control.
Mystic38

Re: Running XLR and quarter inch simultaneously?

Post by Mystic38 »

the 1/4 and balanced outputs are independent of each other, though the level of both is set by the volume control.

there is nothing wrong in using the 1/4 outs as you suggest HOWEVER you will need volume control for your monitor so a powered speaker is not the right answer..get a cheap keyboard amp like a behringer