Best alternative to an RD700GX?..

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Mystic38

Best alternative to an RD700GX?..

Post by Mystic38 »

I am looking for input as to the next best alternative to the RD700GX..which i will likely need to sell as the keys are worn badly after only two weeks..

Has anyone got opinions on the S90ES, or the newer S90XS?.. or other piano's?..
V-CeeOh

Re: Best alternative to an RD700GX?..

Post by V-CeeOh »

I'm sorry if you talked about it before, but isn't the RD suppose to be under warranty only after 2 weeks of use?
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Sorry mebbe i should have put in my post i bought it used off of Ebay.. so no warranty, although to be fair to Ebay and the seller it WAS in mint condition when it arrived...

i never figured that about 30hrs of play would damage the finish so much..
John Cagle Sr.

Post by John Cagle Sr. »

forgive me for disputing your claim about the keys
"worn badly", but I have the same keyboard, and it's got hundreds of hours of playing time, and other than a little dulling/micro scratching of the keys; there is no "damage" that effects feel or playability. Most everyone who has had this DP for quite a while states that the wear only gets to a certain point, and then doesn't continue to wear. The caps on these keys remind me of a real acoustic piano, and to me, at least; are second to none. If your keys are worn to the degree you say they are; (damage is the word you use), and I certainly don't doubt your word; then there is something happening with yours that is quite different from mine, and I play the heck out of mine.
John Sr.
mojkarma

Post by mojkarma »

It depends on what are your priorities.
I would say that a S90 ES or XS is a more than good alternative.
I'm using the RD700GX as my only stage keyboard, playing in a rock/pop band and the RD shows for me more and more limitations: irrational limitation to only 100 setups, I cannot load individual setups from a saved setup file which makes a reordering of setups a nightmare, a completely ununderstandable effect structure regarding what is controlled by the physical controller when more then one sound is used in a setup (split and layer), the sounds vary to much in quality, some are great, some are on the GM Level of the eighties, very basic editing option and some more.
As I said, for playing a few sounds on the whole show is not a problem, but covering a concert with a wide variety of sounds and for making setups for every single song, a S90 ES or XS is a far better option.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Well, as I have a Fantom G6 my priority in looking for a stage piano was for improved piano sounds and a decent weighted keybed.. while playing out of the studio it would not be used for more than half a dozen songs and so in this respect the RD700GX was originally ideal.

So, at the moment the S79/90XS is the leading candidate .... and although I am likely to give up a little on action and possibly the piano patches (i really like the expressive grand) , this will be an ok trade for me vs concerns over $$$ maintenance on the RD

Anyone who has compared the s70/90xs to the RD700GX?
delirium

Post by delirium »

try new korg SV-1 digital piano, awesome piano sound,organs and EPs.

I agree that besides great ivory feel RD700GX is a little disappointing for that amount of money and I'm thinking of changing it.