Tough decision!!

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
eliwwjd777

Tough decision!!

Post by eliwwjd777 »

Good morning guys

It's been a while I've been trying to buy a new gear, economy down here in PR is not to good. I've been anylizing for a while what are my options.
There is a problem now, I just injured my back a few weeks back and that
adds a weight issue. I'm recovering myself but the doctor said to be careful not to lift things that are to heavy,to ask for help.OK to get to the point, rd700gx was my first option but now I'm considering 2 models:rd300gx with sonic cell or yamaha s70/xs. I wanted to see what are your opinions. I know that is a matter fo taste but I need some insight.
S70xs seems to sound killer but it is heavier. The 300 is 8 poinds less but
would sonic cell if i want to get the advantages of SRX. It would of been nice that roland would include srx expansion on the 300, at least one slot.
The other issue is that I'll be carrying this instrument back and forth, but only sundays to church. You guys probably are thinking know, why doesn't he buy something like a juno stage or g6, the answer is that I've playing acoustic piano for a while and I really don't like the plastic key feel on my fingers so I prefer weighted key, I know GUYS!!! pay the price of weight.OH well!!!! it is what it is!!! to be honest I just wanted some insight, and trust me it is valuable to me. Take care veryone, and GOD bless in this coming year.
eliwwjd777

Re: Tough decision!!

Post by eliwwjd777 »

Just to clarify on the line it mentions the 300 is 8 pounds less , the 300 would be bought with sonic cell and srx expansions.Sorry for not expressing myself correctly!!!
John Cagle Sr.

Post by John Cagle Sr. »

I bought the RD700gx about 4 months ago, and I couldn't be happier. It's just an outstanding piece of gear. I can't comment on how easy it will be to you,to transport it every Sunday, but I would have no problem with it. Almost everyone on other keyboard forums agrees that the RD700gx has the closet thing to an acoustic keybed, that's out there now. I wouldn't give mine up for anything else out there, except maybe the V-Piano. I could have had any board I wanted(I chose not to go as high in price as the V), and I chose the RD700gx. It's just a great keyboard. I've also got it hooked up with my Juno-G to use as a controller when I so desire. Good luck with your choice my friend.
John Sr.
delirium

Post by delirium »

I'm about to change RD700GX to korg SV-1 possible 76 version.
http://www.korg.com/sv1

RD700GX besides perfect keys touch gives me no thrilles.
John Cagle Sr.

Post by John Cagle Sr. »

good luck with the SV-1; They look like nice keyboards. You, I, and anyone else will always find something lacking in every keyboard out there. I guess finding the one we like the most, is the "key" to it.
John
KPro81

Post by KPro81 »

You're right John!!! I was thinking of getting rid of my RD700GX awhile back because I was unhappy with the rhodes emulations. I will reiterate....the stock settings are horrible and will make Rhodes fanatics like myself laugh!!! However, after some time and good programming, I have been able to get some pretty convincing emulations.

I recently went into SamAsh and tried the new Korg SV-1 and I will say it's pretty cool, but the velocity switching is quite noticable. The RD700GX's velocity switching (supernatural technology) has spoiled me!!! The biggest gripe that I have with SV-1 is the Rhodes emulation. They are too "tineful"...to much bell...no where near that dark early Rhodes sound of someone like Herbie Hancock. Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust that the way that you can on the Roland. To get that sound I'm talking about, you need more than just EQ's and fliters. You need to alter the mechanics and voicing of the Rhodes and the Roland allows you to do that!!!

However, to each his own and I'm happy with what I have been able to produce. I have just finished some settings for the Rhodes on the RD that EXACTLY mimic the Rhodes sound off of Herbie Hancock's "Flood" album. Beautifully played and recorded Rhodes on this live album by the way.
John Cagle Sr.

Post by John Cagle Sr. »

I've always thought Herbie's tone was as good as it gets; so you have definately got a good sound going on there, if you've managed to zero in on that. I'd like to know what you've got dialed in there, when you've got the time to post it.
John
KPro81

Post by KPro81 »

Sure John. I'll post my settings shortly. I just have to finish testing them. Plus this is finals week for me. I'm doing my Masters in music education, so I'm tied up with papers and finals. A note to some of you guys...find a Rhodes sound that you like and really analyze that sound (It takes some time!!!) Then you have to go into the RD and fool around with the settings. I will say that the big categories for adjustment that will make a big difference in sound are: Bar angle, Pick-Up distance, Bell/Thump and Bell Character. Adjustments made to these particular categories will yield the most dramatic sound differences. Good Luck!!!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Note guys that you can attach any data to your post here and if you ping me I will also post your sounds in our library. Thanks!