Change volume using slider on RD700GX

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
yibers

Change volume using slider on RD700GX

Post by yibers »

I just purchased the RD700GX. Love the pianos, although I am thinking of getting the SRX 06 for the orchestral instruments.

Anyway, to the point. I created some setup with multiple zones (various splits/layers). Now, in real time, I would like to fade out the sound of one of the zones by using a slider. However, since the slider is at the top, and the volume of the zone in the setup is lower, the volume "jumps" all the way up, and then goes down as I move down the slider.

Let's take for example a setup with layered piano(upper-1) and strings (upper-2). The volume for the strings (upper-2) is set to 50. Towards the end of the song, I want to fade out the string, so I start moving the slider - which was all the way up - down. The volume now jumps to 127, and then starts going down again. This creates an annoying sound for about a second. I didn't check the knobs, but I assume they have the same issue.

When I was doing my research, I also checked out the S90ES, which had a solution for this problem by having the slider only start to work when you moved it to the original position for the zone. I also saw maudio midi controllers that solve this problem by allowing you to turn knobs infinitely.

Is there a way to solve this problem for the Roland RD700GX?
nathbeadle

Re: Change volume using slider on RD700GX

Post by nathbeadle »

Sorry to burst your bubble of hope.. but there is no way to fix this besides Roland issuing an update.

For me I just have to take a second or two and move the sliders to where I want them to be so that they are in a position to be moved. So when I select a setup, I have to remember roughly the volume levels of my tones and move the sliders to match.. then you can make any volume changes you want without issue... just gotta put in that work before playing. Annoying!

I LOVE my 700GX but what you described is one of my biggest annoyances that continually gets overlooked with every revision. I wish someone would just deal with it... apparently everyone else has!
yibers

Re: Change volume using slider on RD700GX

Post by yibers »

I am thinking of getting a pedal to control the volume. If I will have the same issue there too, it will be pretty useless.

Will I have the same issue there too?