Download & Share User Setup Files ?!

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
festus

Re: Download & Share User Setup Files ?!

Post by festus »

Well Paul you are much more qualified to do this than I am.
Hope you can come up with something.

Mark
jcincotta_

Post by jcincotta_ »

Like milsnips, I am a software developer as well as a musician and want a program to help manage setups.

My specific problem is that the list of songs my band plays will soon exceed 100. Of course, we play far fewer than 100 songs for any one gig, but once I've gone to the trouble of creating a setup for a particular song, I want to keep it in an archive even if that song falls off our short list of top 100 most frequently played songs.

What I want is a way to store an unlimited number of setups on my computer from which I can select up to 100 setups to load into my RD-700GX. I'd like my list of selected setups to be stored alphabetically in the RDS file so that it's easier to find a specific song during a gig (i.e. to respond to a request, or quick change to another song to maybe keep folks on the dance floor).

Does anyone know of any existing patch editing software that would accomplish this?

If nothing exists, I'd be willing to write a program and share it with the community. Technically, it looks like rewriting an RDS file would be a nice, clean solution. The program creates an RDS which is then loaded onto the RD-700GX. The alternative of working through a sequence of bulk copies to "temporary performance data" and manually saving each to the correct setup slot sounds waaay too tedious, time-consuming and error-prone.

All I'd need to write this program are some tech specs on the RDS file format.

It wouldn't even require complete detail on RDS. I don't care, for instance on all the internals of a single setup (voice assignments, parameters, etc).

Of the data in the RDS file all I really need to understand is how to pull out the block of binary data associated with each setup along with the name of the setup and its index.

This would allow me to store the data block associated with each individual setup, present a list of setups to choose from, create a sorted a list of setup names to write to RDS, then assign the desired index numbers to each setup so that the setups are alphabetized when the RDS is loaded into the RD-700GX..

Does anyone from Roland monitor this forum? Perhaps they could provide the file specs or explain why such basic information is not available?
festus

Post by festus »

jcincotta
there seems to be a few people who would like that info on the RDS file.
I had a look at the file in a Hex editor and copied one of the 1672H byte blocks to the next block to see if this made a copy of a setup. (I think it was from byte # 2C22 to 4294). Anyway when I tried to load the file into the RD I got an error message

ERROR : 15
The data format is
not compatible with
this instrument.

I'm not a software person, but I did some 8051 & 68xx assembly level programming years ago, so I'm just guessing a bit.

Mark

PS the copying and loading of the "temporary performance data" was just a way of sharing a single setup really.
jcincotta_

Post by jcincotta_ »

Yeah, it may be that there is some other alterations necessary to get this to work. Like maybe the slot index needs to go in that data block.

Or files frequently include a hash code in the file header or at the end of the file. The hash code is a number that lets a program tell if the file has been altered. So, if they use a hash code, it would be necessary to update it whenever changes are made to the file. Companies often get a little touchy about revealing the way they compute hashcodes, so maybe that's why Roland is reluctant to disclose file format specs.
milsnips

Post by milsnips »

Hi jcincotta,

I sent an email to Roland maybe about 2 weeks back, asking if there was more info on the RDS file format so we could figure out the file structure and write an app to modify it, but unfortunately the reply from Japan was that it wasn't publicly available.

Bit dissappointing as its limiting us RD users by not allowing us to efficiently manage our setups in an easy and flexible way.

regards,
Paul
howardS

Post by howardS »

Has anyone tried festus' setup saving trick from page 1 of this thread on the RD700NX?
howardS

Post by howardS »

Just an update here. I got it to work on the RD700NX but it is a different sysex string. You need to use:
F0 41 10 00 00 50 11 10 00 00 00 00 07 03 0B 5B F7
although the name of the patch is not copied.
user94

Post by user94 »

Are there any news about the "Setup-File-Editor"? I'm very interested in that. I also had a look on a HEX-Editor, but I didn't even find the names of the Setups. Has anyone discovered somthing abouth that already?
user94
a_lex_e_j

Post by a_lex_e_j »

Hey there, has anyone some news on this topic? I would be interested.