Download & Share User Setup Files ?!

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
festus

Re: Download & Share User Setup Files ?!

Post by festus »

Paul
the Hex Code is straight from here.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/om.cfm?PRODU...

page 14
Getting Temporary Performance Data (RQ1)

It works for me every time.

Are you using MIDI-OX ?

Mark
milsnips

Post by milsnips »

Thanks,
I just came across that Midi Implementation PDF lastnight also.
Yes i'm using MIXI-OX and set the devices to ROLand RD for both input and output.

I can see messages being recieved when i play. I tried also coping your hex codes directly into the window and did a send/recieve with no luck.

regards,
Paul
festus

Post by festus »

Paul
I'm at work now (in Australia it's 10.00am), but when I get home I'll check some setings, although I'm pretty sure everything worked straight off.

You could try doing a Bulk Dump from the RD. Edit --> Utility --> 2. Bulk Dump
Page 135 of the manual

I did try this through Sonar LE I think, not sure about MIDI-OX but you should be able to do it.

Mark
milsnips

Post by milsnips »

Same here mate, melbourne time (working in the city).
I'll go through some of the other MIDI commands tonight.

Do i need to make any settings changes on the RD for receiving SysEx

thjanks,
Paul
festus

Post by festus »

Paul

is the Device ID set to 17 in the RD? Page 110
This is the 3rd byte (10H) in the sysEx message

Try the Bulk Dump in MIDI-OX (it's not dependent on Device ID)

SysEx View --> Sysex --> Receive Manual Dump

Initiate Bulk Dump from RD page 135

Mark

PS
I work in Canberra but live about 45mins towards coast.
milsnips

Post by milsnips »

Thanks Mark!

The bulk dump worked ok, then i realised that i wasnt recieving bytes because i was looking at the input window, not the output window. As soon as i opened it, it spat out the temporary performance data, now i just need to figure out which bits are holding what data.

I guess i'll just stat going through the Midi Implementation PDF and see what i can get out that because i want to try build up a windows app that will allow you to pick/mix the midi setups from a list of available, the re-create the temporary performance data and send it back to the keyboard (without screwing it all up..hehehe)

regards,
Paul
festus

Post by festus »

Paul

I'm not exactly sure what you want to do.

Are you wanting to have a library of setups on the PC and then be able to select the ones you want and download them into any of the 100 setup locations on the RD?

Mark
milsnips

Post by milsnips »

Yeah something like that, although i dont know if i can just send 1 setup, i'll probably need to compile my list of 100 setups, then send the data back to the keyboard.

I just would like an easier way to try and share setups between people, as i have about 20 sounds on my setup, which i'd like to give to someone so they can add it to their existing setups without replacing their entire 100 presets.
milsnips

Post by milsnips »

Yeah something like that, although i dont know if i can just send 1 setup, i'll probably need to compile my list of 100 setups, then send the data back to the keyboard.

I just would like an easier way to try and share setups between people, as i have about 20 sounds on my setup, which i'd like to give to someone so they can add it to their existing setups without replacing their entire 100 presets.
festus

Post by festus »

Paul
you can send 1 setup at a time as (explained in a previous post) temporary performance data, but to change multiple setups and re-arrange them I think would need to be done as a complete setup file (100 setups), but don't think this can be done through system exclusive messages (not with the info provided by Roland anyway).

Mark
milsnips

Post by milsnips »

Yep i know what you mean, my idea is to only modify 1 setup at a time, so this is how i see it:

Dump the temporary performance data onto the pc, which will then show me the 100 presets in a windows app, from there i replace any presets with other ones that i've stored in my "app library" - eg, put new sound in preset 63 for example. once i've replaced the sounds i want to be uploaded back into the RD, i'll build up the "temporary performance data" and send the whole lot back via a SysEx message.

Only thing i could think of is that if i pick/mix the data, i might need to create a new checksum for the entire "temporary performance data" before sending it back up.

Does that make sense for you?

regards,
Paul
festus

Post by festus »

Paul
the "temporary performance data" is only 1 steup, you will have to save 100 of these to get all the setups from the RD.

Mark
milsnips

Post by milsnips »

I thought the temporary performance data was the same as saving the RD SETUP onto a USB stick (which i assume contains all of my 100 presets)?
festus

Post by festus »

no unfortunately temporary performance data is only 1 setup but you can at least work out from the MIDI implementation pdf the value of each parameter and edit it if you wanted to. I've had a bit of a look at the Setup.RDS file (~600k file) but not been able to work much out, although there seems to be about 100 (I didn't count them) blocks of data 1671H bytes long that start and end with the same series of bytes. The only text string I found was near the end of the file (starting at byte # 94B84H) it was " RD-700GX V01.000". This was the Factory Setup RDS file. I did notice that if I saved a setup to #96 for example the RDS file size increased and the data was added to the end of the factory file. I haven't tried deleting all the setups and saving to see what the RDS file looks like, but maybe I will give it a go some time.

Mark
milsnips

Post by milsnips »

Thanks for the info Mark :-)

I'd be interested to try and figure this out. As i'm a software developer i wouldnt have any problems putting together some kind of application that would make us RD owners manage their setups/patches easier.

regards,
Paul.