700NX - a few things I can't figure out

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Lazerlike42

700NX - a few things I can't figure out

Post by Lazerlike42 »

Hey folks, new member here with a few questions about my 700NX. I can't seem to find it anywhere in the manual or from searching on the net. It's basically all about the tones/memory.

First, I'm curious as to what the basis of the wave memory/tone generator is. Do the the different patches come from any of Roland's other stuff - the Fantom X? G? One of the Junos? Similarly, is the basic tone generator based on any of Roland's other stuff?

Second, I am trying to figure out what relationship the SuperNATURAL presets have to the tones listed in the tone list or in the user bank. If you're in the preset banks and you press for instance the Studio piano button, it shows a special SuperNATURAL display and you can go in and edit different parameters (lid height, duplex scale, etc. etc.) On the other hand, if you then press the user bank key, the SuperNATURAL display goes away and you get a plain old black screen which says Studio Grand. If you go into tone edit from there, you get regular tone edit options, not the SuperNATURAL ones. What's the relationship between them? Is there some Studio Grand tone which just plays back regular samples in the user bank mode, but which is augmented by the SuperNATURAL stuff when you are using the preset bank? Or, is the Studio Grand always employing the SuperNATURAL tech but when in the user bank it is not accessible for one reason or another?

Similarly, if you use layer edit to layer, say, the Brilliant Grand in the Upper 1 with a brass in the Upper 2, it seems like you "lose" the SuperNATURAL stuff just like when using a user bank. Is it possible to use the layers to put together, for instance, two different SuperNATURAL tones?

Thanks!
Mystic38

Re: 700NX - a few things I can't figure out

Post by Mystic38 »

the synth engine in the RD comes from the fantom G.. so some patches are the same as the G and some are not..it all depends on the waveforms.. but the engine is the same.

HOWEVER

the supernatural piano is not a waveform>synthesizer patch. It is in effect, another synthesizer bolted to the side of the the FG engine that models and manipulates to more accurately represent a true piano, or e.piano. So you can change parameters in the supernatural in a descriptive way relative to the actual instrument, versus editing synth engine parameters in the regular, FG derived synth patches.

SO

Due to the processing power required to drive this extra engine i am pretty positive that without even reading the manual that you can only have one supernatural patch in a performance..
howardS

Post by howardS »

Due to the processing power required to drive this extra engine i am pretty positive that without even reading the manual that you can only have one supernatural patch in a performance..
Mystic38, I just picked up an RD700NX and think that statement is not correct. What you are limited by it seems is the ability to edit the supernatural patch parameters to just part 1 of the performance. It seems you can however play more than one supernatural patch in a performance.
howardS

Post by howardS »

It seems my statement was incorrect, Mystic38. You can get to the SuperNATURAL parameters of the supernatural EP or Piano's assigned to layers 2, 3 and 4 by holding down the [EXIT/SHIFT] Button and then hitting one of the four LAYER Switch buttons. Now you are in a mode where if you hit Tone Edit and use the Cursor part of the Value Dial you can go all the way to the left and then select which layer to edit. Now you can get at the SuperNATURAL settings of any of the 4 layers.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I want to just add to my last post a slight limitation in that you cannot add sympathetic resonance to the SuperNatural pianos if they are on layers 2-4, only if it is on layer 1.