Gigging live question. Rd700 or x8

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Rusty

Gigging live question. Rd700 or x8

Post by Rusty »

Hi all

I currently gig with the fantom x6 and korg m3 73 key and have the x8 at home as my pride and joy keyboard that doesn't really leave the house. But the trouble is I hardly get to use the x8 anymore and it's like new condition but I don't really want to sell it.
But I do need a decent weighted keyboard for gigging.
I've bought a hard case for the x8 already and even though it's heavy I've used it twice for gigs in 2010.
Would I be better selling the x8 and buying a rd700 or should I stick with the x8 for future gigs where I require weighted keys.
All my 4 expansion slots are full but I think I only use two of them in live gigs.
I never use the editing or sequencer on the x8.
Does the rd have any pros and cons against the x8 in terms of build quality and sound switching during live use.
Thank you for any suggestions.
howardS

Re: Gigging live question. Rd700 or x8

Post by howardS »

I have have an X6 and an X8 and last summer I bought the RD700nx. The Supernatural piano sounds are incredible and I frankly find it very hard to go back and play my X8. The build quality is awesome, you have 2 MFX's per part. It is really easy to grab sounds and can create splits or layers. Can you tell, I love my RD. That said, some Rhodes patchex I have require 3 MFX blocks so for that I use my X6. If only I could have the Supernatural pianos with a longer effects chain but that is the compromise. Oh, and the RD, although by no means light, is lighter than the X8.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Hi. Thanks for your input, i am Just looking at the prices for the rd700nx, it's around £2000
The Older gx, if available, could be around £1300 ex display
My x8 is probably only going to sell at £800.
From the money view, is it worth selling the x8 and putting so much extra money towards an rd700 or would you say the x8 is almost as good so just keep it.
I doI like the large screen on the x8 making it easy to select a song on stage that we wouldnt normally select if we should alter the playing order. I have the live setting mode on and the song titles are laid out before me just a button press away.
What I don't like about the x8 is that it's difficult to add and remove strings to a piano sound seamlessly.
I've tried following rps tutorials but never figured it out.
Can this be done on the rd700 or is it also a stumbling block.?
Many thanks.
howardS

Post by howardS »

The GX is not the same as the NX although you can add the supernatural update to it. Perhaps A/B it side by side and see what your hands and ears tell you about those two keyboards.

The big screen is nice on the X8 but I still choose the sounds on the RD over the X8. You can still organize things fairly well on the RD and worse comes to worse you can have the performance order written down on paper and just use that as a reference if your song order changes. Do you use two keyboards at your gigs?

Bringing in the strings and other layers on the RD is definitely easier than on the X8. I am pretty good with RPS and I still prefer using the RD to select and manipulate layers on the fly over the X8. Since you have the X8 and the X6 you should try and get help online here to get the RPS trick to work. Even if you get rid of the X8 you would probably benefit from it on the X6
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Hi. Thanks again for your advice. I will look into rps again and if I get to grips with it it may be the deciding factor. Many thanks
howardS

Post by howardS »

Ok, Rusty. If you run into trouble then just start a new thread and someone here will probably help you through it. Here is the link to the thread where Lazyboy, a member here, posted a tutorial on some things you can do with RPS. Here is a link where I tried to give the steps for creating an RPS pattern to turn a layer on or off and how to then save it. Perhaps that might also help you. Good luck with it.