Quick question for RD700NX guru's...

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
kenchan

Quick question for RD700NX guru's...

Post by kenchan »

As you guys know i recently purchased a RD700NX. i luv the thing, i played it so much the last 3wks the ivory is already showing wear. :D hahaha.

one of my main hobbies is to program piano and Rhodes sounds.

I made a nice supernatural Rhodes patch that uses 3layers of the same Rhodes patch with variation for dynamics. Basically i am using velocity switching between the same Rhodes sound with slight changes in tonal character to maximize dynamics from very soft to loud (benchmarking Scarbee Mk1 and my CP1). playing off my RD keybed is fine. it actually sounds very good. :)

i want to record this Liveset via MIDI using my DAW, but dont know how to make my DAW recognize these 3 layers individually.

when i have the RD hooked up to my Logic i can play the layers individually per channel as if they are different parts. If i use the MIDI out settings on my RD with CH1 output for all 3 layers with different velocity zones logic recognizes that I am sending different layer MIDI signals and velocity zones and triggers the 3 layer patches within the velocity zone, but the sound coming out defaults to the Rhodes sound i made but with full range velocity for all 3. it just plays the velocity zone specified.

how do i setup the RD (if this is even possible) to send 3 layer velocity info via USB while it triggers the 3 different layers as if i am playing directly off my RD's keybed without DAW? i even tried making 3 individual Livesets and call them up in the MIDI out setting on the RD but the bank/patch numbers did not register the internal Livesets as it is for external-only.

worst case i will just play and record audio in my DAW, but was hoping i could do this via MIDI as well.

THANKS!
howardS

Re: Quick question for RD700NX guru's...

Post by howardS »

I don't have an answer for your question, Kenchan but I have to comment here. You're taking a SuperNATURAL rhodes sound, one main aspect of SuperNATURAL being no velocity switching, and then you are doing velocity switching between 3 different layers?!? Seems against the whole point of SuperNATURAL but I know you spend a lot of time programming sounds so I respect it but...really? ;-)
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

howardS wrote:I don't have an answer for your question, Kenchan but I have to comment here. You're taking a SuperNATURAL rhodes sound, one main aspect of SuperNATURAL being no velocity switching, and then you are doing velocity switching between 3 different layers?!? Seems against the whole point of SuperNATURAL but I know you spend a lot of time programming sounds so I respect it but...really? ;-)
hahaha, yes, absolutely needed to be at Scarbee/CP1 level. not sure if you've tried any of my patches i made for the FantomG's in the past, but i make sure the layers are very fluid. the supernatural pianos are fantastic, but the Tines is no good in stock form. ive spent over 50hrs now programming the Tines and finally it is starting to sound very good. :)

ScarbeeMk1 is velocity switched but very smooth too as it's using many layers.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I dont have the G, I have an X6, an X8 and the RD700NX... and a few other toys, of course.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

I tried everything I could think of to make this work, but I would need to send each layer on separate midi ports probably to make this work. This means I will need 3 individual midi inputs on the daw side which I don't have. So it looks like I will use my scarbee mk1 if via midi or just play audio into the daw to record my latest RD tines creation. :)
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

so after fiddling with it a while i decided to make a single layer version with more dyamics than wat i had before. it works okay for the time being.

anyone have a librarian type software for the RD where i can upload patches using SMF? a member here was asking if i'd be willing to upload these mk1 patches. im okay to share, just dont know what to use to upload...(?)
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

so i take it there's not simple way to upload my patch...
howardS

Post by howardS »

Hi kenchan. I was reading this post and it seems a user here found a way to share single patch date from the GX. I haven't tried it on the NX but I wonder if it works.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Ok, kenchan, it works on the NX so you can start sharing your patches. I got it to work on the RD700NX but it is a different sysex string that you have to send. Although the patch name is not saved. You need to send:

F0 41 10 00 00 50 11 10 00 00 00 00 07 03 0B 5B F7

to your RD700NX with MIDI-OX and wait for 4828 bytes to come back. Now save that resulting info. Then you just need to save that file and you can copy the patch info back to the temporary performance by simply sending the resulting data back to the RD700NX.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

oh my...
howardS

Post by howardS »

Yep. It was pretty easy once I followed that other post and then checked the MIDI implementation for the NX to get the right sysex codes to get the temporary data information.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

let me look at this when i have some time. looks kinda deep just to get a patch uploaded. lol
howardS

Post by howardS »

Come on, I know you're up to the challenge, kenchan. ;-)

Actually, it really wasn't difficult to set up and you can use this method to move patches between live sets.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

2months old and one of my ebony keys broke. :( was playing and suddenly heard a stuck key. i first thought it was midi related but no, mechanically broke. no sweat... ive done repairs over the 3 decades playing keyboards so not a big deal for me to open up the RD to see what happened inside.

the balanced hammer arm (counter weight) fractured near the area where it gets pushed down by the key. so i removed the key (it's just a snap hinge at the top), took the arm out and superglued it reinforcing it with thin plastic (bascially used a thin clear box i had from a USB flash driver purchase) attached to the outside and insides of the area where it broke.

then proceeded to swap the arm with a key i dont usually play that hard in the top register. put it back together, took it for a quick 1hr test drive, everything works fine. :) but i am asking my store if they can help me with a few replacement arms so that i can replace it down the road if it fails again.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I guess it was outside the warranty period. Ouch.