Switching Setups with Program Changes

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
robertrussell22

Switching Setups with Program Changes

Post by robertrussell22 »

Hi there. I'm having some difficult with my Roland RD-700SX keyboard, and was wondering if anyone could lend me a hand.

Here's my scenario. I have a Roland AX-Synth keytar which I'm hooking up to my Roland RD-700SX keyboard as an external midi device. I play the keytar, and the keyboard makes the sound.

I need to be able to change sounds quickly on stage, while walking around with the keytar. It seems that "Using Program Messages to Switch Setups" as it's stated in page 81 (and page 103) of the manual is the way to go, but I'm having difficulty getting it to work.

I've set, I think, everything up properly, but executing a Program Change on the keytar is still activating a tone change on the keyboard, rather than a switch of setup, as the manual states it should...

From the manual (p. 103)...
"When switching setups, you must match the MIDI channel of the transmitting device with the RD-700SX’s Control channel (p. 81). When switching the tones in each part, match the MIDI channel of the transmitting device with the RD-700SX’s Receive channel. However, when the Control channel and the Receive channel are both set to the same channel, the Control channel takes priority, and Setups are switched."

I'm confident I've done this. The Receive Channel on every part in every zone of every setup on the keyboard is channel 1, as is the global Control Channel. The midi from the keytar is also always coming through channel 1.

Has anybody else managed this before and had a similar problems? Thank you very much for your time. :)

~ Robert
Sanrek

Re: Switching Setups with Program Changes

Post by Sanrek »

Obviously you already know the basic step, wich is matching the RD-700 receiving channel for live set control change ("SETUP Control Channel").

But for you to change Setups, you have to first select the correct bank before the program change as stated in the manual page 103 with bank msb 085 and bank lsb 0 midi messages.

So it should be something like

cc#0 085 (Bank msb)
cc#32 0 (banks lsb)
pc XXX (XXX: your setup number 0-100)

Hope this helps