Simple MIDI. Not so fast...

Post by Nobody »

Here's the scoop.
1 RD-700
1 Yamaha UX-16 cable/interface
1 iMac
1 Garageband
1 Dunce

Total= No Roland RD-700 recognized by either the Yamaha or Mac.

A set up of the Yamaha and a "new device" in the Mac yields a positive "test" signal out from the Mac to the Yamaha. Nothing back from the keyboard.

Garageband only recognizes a midi input, but has nothing to select, obviously.

The Roland manual...nothing useful, it seems. A UX16/Roland conflict? Something in the Roland to "turn on" that I'm missing? Perhaps my skull is too thick?
kenchan

Re: Simple MIDI. Not so fast...

Post by kenchan »

not sure what a UX16 is, but are you using USB cable for your MIDI? if so, is you RD setup correctly? (USB as MIDI) instead of the traditional MIDI connectors as MIDI?

it could be the other way around too...

hope i make sense...
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Thanks for your note. (The UX16 is the Yamaha midi-to-usb cable/interface. And I can tell that, if the RD-700 needs to be set up correctly...other than factory...then it is not. Since this was only midi when produced, did they anticipate usb use with this model...and provide a setting somewhere that I have not seen?
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

Press the MIDI button on the RD's front panel and it will show you the MIDI channel it is transmitting through. If it says ALL then I'm kinda out of options for you but if it shows USB or one of the wrong MIDI out ports then you can change setting. :)
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Thanks Kenchan. I'll take another look at it.