Rd300sx--opinions on

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
colonelkeys

Rd300sx--opinions on

Post by colonelkeys »

Newbie here! My wife and I are huge fans of the live sound and feel of the old rd500's--I know that dates us but we love them and own 3!-- but we are gigging more so the weight and key breakage are forcing us to a new board. I see the rd300sx are affordable but have never played or heard one and so must rely on the collective experience here to guide us. Really only looking for a great piano sound and good feel. Any thoughts. Would like to stay under a grand. Thanks.
kenchan

Re: Rd300sx--opinions on

Post by kenchan »

i didn't like the feel of the keybed. it feels NOTHING like the PHA2 or PHA3's the RD700/Vpiano/FantomG8 are known for. it's like a mushy soft heavier than synth action.

no comment on the sound as it wasn't hooked up while i visited the store. :)
colonelkeys

Post by colonelkeys »

I was afraid of that! The weight of the Rd's is something I have to reduce as my wife frequently has to carry the board herself to a gig. So am open to suggestions to the best board to get as we look at the weight/action/ piano sound equation--realizing that my $$ limit may have to go up. Thanks for any help anyone may want to offer!!
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

Not the best action but pretty lightweight and pretty good sounding is the nord piano. I suggest wait for the Piano2 to hit the stores this spring. They go $3k and made for the gigging musician. Original Piano goes $2.5K..about 40lbs. No where near the sound quality and realism of the RD700NX..but u get better electric pianos.
colonelkeys

Post by colonelkeys »

I've always been intrigued by the nord. What I am starting to suspect is that any light weight board is going to have a standard dampened synth action. Was hoping to hear different. My wife is strictly into piano but i enjoy organ and the other sounds so I may be a candidate for the nord but I think she will need a more realistic action.
Thanks in advance for any other suggestions!
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

just a heads up that korg appears to be having issues with their hammer action RH3 keybeds on the kronos... that's the same keybed that is used on the SV1. so you might want to stay way from those until korg announces a formal fix. check out youtube for the problems people are having. not pretty.

i think you should really try the RD300 and see of yourself if you can live with the keyaction. there's not many 'lightweight' stage piano's out there. at the end, i think you'll end up with the RD700NX. :D hahahaha.
delirium

Post by delirium »

kenchan wrote:i didn't like the feel of the keybed. it feels NOTHING like the PHA2 or PHA3's the RD700/Vpiano/FantomG8 are known for. it's like a mushy soft heavier than synth action.

no comment on the sound as it wasn't hooked up while i visited the store. :)
I agree, action is not the best but playable. I think it's worthy to add some money and buy RD700GX or higher.
colonelkeys

Post by colonelkeys »

Thanks for the reply.....what is your assessment of the piano sound....is it comparable to the Rd700? We own 3 rd500's and are happy with the live sound and feel so am not interested in making a change to a lighter board if the piano sound at least isn't going to be great. Thanks again.
delirium

Post by delirium »

colonelkeys wrote:Thanks for the reply.....what is your assessment of the piano sound....is it comparable to the Rd700? We own 3 rd500's and are happy with the live sound and feel so am not interested in making a change to a lighter board if the piano sound at least isn't going to be great. Thanks again.
piano sound is good enough, I guess it's a subset of that included in RD700SX.