Midi driver installation issue (RD700NX, Win7 - 32bit)

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
arbogast

Midi driver installation issue (RD700NX, Win7 - 32bit)

Post by arbogast »

Thanks a lot for this forum.

Yesterday, I bought an RD700NX after having spent close to a year considering/trying out lots of different DPs. Before that I've used an AKAImpk88 w Pianoteq (truly miserable keyboard action!) and before that a Yamaha Clavinova pf-100 which served me well for 10+ yrs.

I tried installing the driver, following the instructions in the README, but installation halted at the 'attach USB and turn on piano'-point. No crash, but instead of detecting and installing the Roland driver a generic driver gets installed. Here's a screendump.
I tried un- & reinstalling of course (also per the instructions in README), but the same thing happens.

I'd be grateful for any hints/help - thanks in advance.
torhus

Re: Midi driver installation issue (RD700NX, Win7 - 32bit)

Post by torhus »

I just let Windows use its generic driver, no problems with that. But if the Roland driver enables extra features or something, I would like to know.
arbogast

Post by arbogast »

Thanks for answering. I too am wondering what extra functionality the driver provides. Roland wouldn't develop a dedicated driver if it's functionality is similar to windows generic driver, surely?
torhus

Post by torhus »

I don't know, but it's possible that the driver was needed with older versions of Windows and they just haven't stopped providing it when newer versions of Windows came along. Maybe they have a pointy-haired boss at Roland, who knows.
arbogast

Post by arbogast »

I guess you're right. Out of curiousity I emailed roland support asking about the diff. Will paste their answer here.