Reasons to pick RD-700NX over FP-7F?

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
turnstyle

Reasons to pick RD-700NX over FP-7F?

Post by turnstyle »

Hi all,

I'm looking at the FP-7F or RD-700NX for home use (love the action!).

The FP-7F has a few practical advantages that appeal to us: built-in speakers, music stand, looper.

However, we might wind up patching the FP-7F into our sound system anyway, and I already happen to have an effect pedal looper (and/or I might prefer to use software), and I'm sure we could figure out a music and/or laptop stand, so that said...

What do you see as the "killer advantages" of the RD-700NX?

Am I correct to understand the RD-700NX has more supernatural sounds vs. the FP-7F, I believe for electric pianos? Can you possibly explain a bit about that? Are there specific electric piano sounds I should compare? I also gather the organs are much better in the RD-700NX?

I'm open to either RD-700NX or FP-7F -- but the gear-head in me is looking for reasons to get the RD-700NX -- my wife would probably prefer FP-7F (she's mostly interested in piano sounds) -- but she would also be happy in support of RD-700NX.

So, that all said, what are your favorite advantages of RD-700NX over FP-7F? Thanks kindly!
torhus

Re: Reasons to pick RD-700NX over FP-7F?

Post by torhus »

I own an NX, but only know FP-7F from reading about it. I think the things I would miss most if I used the 7F instead would be the pitch bend stick and the programmable faders, as there are some usable solo sounds on the NX (try On Air or Calliope2). I would probably not miss the other SN sounds, since the main piano sound is the best one, and supposedly the FP has got the same sound. The SN Rhodes sound does not impress me, it's dull and uninspiring to play. You can check out the SN sounds here, just click on "sound check". There are 6 basic SN sounds, one on each of the grey buttons on the NX.

The accompaniment features on the FP sound interesting, the NX has only got at basic metronone/drum groove feature. I'ts nice to be able to just press a button to get started, instead of having to set up Band-in-a-Box or similar.

The Hammond organ sounds on the NX are not bad, but playing organ on a single manual is always going to be limiting. It's mostly useful for playing in a band, in my opinion. There are ok church organs, but I suspect that FP has that, too.

The NX is more of an allround gigging board, with lots of sounds, XLR outputs, pitch bend (but no aftertouch), good master keyboard functionality, no speakers. On the downside it's very long and heavy.

For me, the strong point of these boards is the PHAIII action that they have in common. If you need home/practice features, go for the FP. The NX for me has got good enough action for practicing on, but still lots of sounds and features useful for various kinds of gigs. If it was only for gigging, I would get something more portable, preferrably with better sounds too.

I guess what I'm saying is... the FP sounds like the right choice based on what you have told us about your needs. Sorry ;)
torhus

Post by torhus »

By the way, I think probably the best place to look for this kind of information is the digital piano forum at pianoworld.com, where both these instruments have been discussed many times :)
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

i prefer the stage piano styling, but i think the FP-7F would fit more of the living room.
delirium

Post by delirium »

NX is black beauty and FP series is ugly...
Not to mention built quality is higher in stage pianos because it has to be road ready.
Jesseri

Post by Jesseri »

I've only had minimal time with FP-7F on the store, so i don't remember all the differences. Imho Rd-700NX vs FP-7 isn't even contest when judging just the looks. RD700NX wins hands down in that department.

RD700NX has 3 SN pianos vs 1 SN on FP-7F. I'm finding that RD700NX Studio SN sounds cuts through the mix quite nicely. Concert SN pianos sounds great when jamming solo. Brilliant SN sounds are the weakest of them all. Too muddy in my opinion.

SN EPs are ok and are at best when playing live with the band.

All in all RD700NX has plenty of nice usable sounds to choose from.

When I was having the same dilemma as op, I chose RD700NX.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Jesseri wrote:I've only had minimal time with FP-7F on the store, so i don't remember all the differences. Imho Rd-700NX vs FP-7 isn't even contest when judging just the looks. RD700NX wins hands down in that department.

RD700NX has 3 SN pianos vs 1 SN on FP-7F. I'm finding that RD700NX Studio SN sounds cuts through the mix quite nicely. Concert SN pianos sounds great when jamming solo. Brilliant SN sounds are the weakest of them all. Too muddy in my opinion.

SN EPs are ok and are at best when playing live with the band.

All in all RD700NX has plenty of nice usable sounds to choose from.

When I was having the same dilemma as op, I chose RD700NX.
- RD700NX is a Performance / Stage oriented Piano with lots of Synth Goodies
- No Mod Lever on the FP-7F
- Lots of other things already mentioned
dalemmi

Post by dalemmi »

Hi Turnstyle,

for living-room use the FP7 may be the better option (less cables, built-in speakers). The RD700 on the other hand has far more sounds, better sound editing, variations and live control. Especially if you like playing organ and layer sounds, the sliders of the RD700 give you much better online control over layer volumes, drawbars and the possibility of online sound changes, modulations, etc.

While the FP7 has a looper, the RD700 has a MP3-recording option, which might basically be used for the same thing.

If you absolutely need a joystick, the RD700 has it (I could do without it most of the time - except for the cool analog synth sounds). The drawback of the joystick is that it makes the RD700 even longer - could be a problem if you are planning on using it for gigs - you might have to buy a new car to fit it in... :-)
In terms of weight the two boards are pretty much the same (approx. 25 kg - quite something to lift around!). That is the price of the excellent piano keyboard.

Since the SN Piano is used in both boards, I would not expect too much difference there. I found the electric pianos of the RD700 a bit disappointing at first. But with some tweaking I got out quite a good variety of the best known and loved sounds now (Rhodes, Wurlizer, FM-Synth).

So - in a nutshell: If you are looking mainly for a piano with some extra sounds for home use, the FP7 may certainly suit your purposes. If you want more sounds, more synth-like online control, a rugged instrument for stage use - consider spending some more money and go for the RD700. I like it!

Good luck for your decision!
Matthias
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

im not sure what's available as far as key touch programming on the FP-7F, but one of the main things i like about the RD, besides its awesome piano sounds, is the ability to program key touch setting per patch.

this is very helpful when contouring your onboard piano's touch response, and triggering other keyboards or virtual instruments one may have in their computer.
drpopper

Post by drpopper »

turnstyle wrote:
What do you see as the "killer advantages" of the RD-700NX?
The SN Studio Grand ... Which is the best piano patch on any board ever ,