Shortcut for setting LWR and UPR split values on the RD700NX

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
howardS

Shortcut for setting LWR and UPR split values on the RD700NX

Post by howardS »

Although I really love my RD700NX, one thing that has annoyed me is that if you want to add a second layer and have it only play on part of the keyboard the RD turns on the default split for all the other layers (not just the one I am trying to add). This is generally not very convenient for live use when I want to just add one sound to either the left or right side such as a pad sound while leaving perhaps a piano or rhodes on the first part or layer. My way to normally set this up is to set the spit for the second layer using the instruction set out on page 57 of the manual but then it turns on Split mode and now the first part or layer is split as well. So I looked for a quick way to set the first layer to split mode but to play across the entire board without needing to go to each of the lower and upper and setting the range. Well, one shortcut for that is just to put the cursor into either fields on that first part and then hitting the bottom note and top note on the keyboard at the same time. The RD then sets that as the two end points for that part. This is very quick and usable. So rather than going to split mode using the split button I go to the first layer and put my cursor in the LWR parameter and hit those two outermost notes. Then press Enter to confirm the setting. Next I drop the cursor down one and set my next two points for that part using this shortcut and then turn on the part. Make sure to take the cursor off any of the LWR or UPR fields before playing or else the RD will think you are still trying to set the end points and then simply start playing.

I am sharing this shortcut as I don't see it documented anywhere and figured someone other than me might find this helpful.

*Original post edited as I forgot to note that you need to hit ENTER to confirm the selection after you set the range. Thanks torhus!
torhus

Re: Shortcut for setting LWR and UPR split values on the RD7

Post by torhus »

Let's see if I got it right: You want to layer two sounds, but one of them to play only on one end of the keyboard. And the way to do that is by setting the key range for each layer separately.

And the shortcut to doing that is: Select Lower or Upper Key Range in Layer Edit. Strike the highest and lowest key in the desired range simultaneously. Press ENTER to confirm. Do the same for the other layer.

Nice tip, I thought I'd write a more easily readable version once I figured out :)
howardS

Post by howardS »

I dont think you need to press ENTER to confirm. I think if you just tab to another parameter it will take what you entered in LWR UPR.
torhus

Post by torhus »

Doesn't work for me. Unless i press ENTER to make the values stop blinking, they are reset when I press the arrow buttons or anything else.

I'm on version 2.0 of the firmware, but I think it was the same way in 1.4.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Oh, Ok, then I guess you do need to press enter. I am on version 2.0 as well. I will edit my post and note the correction by you, torhus.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Ok, here is another interesting thing I discovered. It seems the live set or performance saves the last setting for LWR and UPR for each of the 4 layers even if you save the live set with the split turned off. This means that you can prep some patches with piano or rhodes or whatever on part 1, set it to split mode and set LWR and UPR to A0 and C8 and then turn split mode off and save the patch. Now when you go to set a split on the second part or layer the first part continues playing across all 88 keys. It does this since it's UPR and LWR parameters are set to A0 and C8. Cool. Now if only we could save this to the one touch pianos.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Just an update here. You can save these split settings to the one touch pianos and thereby update the grey buttons.