RD-700NX System Update Version 2.02

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
howardS

RD-700NX System Update Version 2.02

Post by howardS »

An update has just been released which you can get here. The following appears to be the only reported bug fix:

● It might rarely not stop sounds on the specified setting and playing style.
howardS

Re: RD-700NX System Update Version 2.02

Post by howardS »

Wait, it seems there is one other reported fix. According to this link there was also a Ver.2.01 release which fixed the following bug:

It interrupts the sounds when you perform a piano sound with playing Fast Bossa rhythms.

So, I assume 2.02 has both these fixes in it.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

oh noez, not again! lol i have to re-program my gray buttons yet again in once week??!!
howardS

Post by howardS »

...I know. That is so crazy. There should be a way to back up the grey buttons. I wonder if it can be done using MIDI and a computer. Have you checked the MIDI implementation, Kenchan?
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

howardS wrote:...I know. That is so crazy. There should be a way to back up the grey buttons. I wonder if it can be done using MIDI and a computer. Have you checked the MIDI implementation, Kenchan?
ive not hooked up my RD to my MBP in months, actually. i only use it as a controller sometimes to play my scarbeeMk1 once in a blue moon. i wonder if sysex can dump the gray button data...
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

good news. i did the v2.02 tonight from v2.00 and did not loose any of the live sets or the gray buttons. :)
howardS

Post by howardS »

Oh that's good news. Did they fix that note cut-off problem in this update?
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

howardS wrote:Oh that's good news. Did they fix that note cut-off problem in this update?
i think it's improved, but not fully fixed. i can still detect when the piano's release cuts-off while playing over wav files especially repetitive fast chords.
snowbird122

Post by snowbird122 »

I started the upgrade from 1.04 to 2.02 last night and it is still going. It isn't frozen. Dots are still filling up the screen, and it says "Loading..." every now and then. Others have said this should only take a few minutes. What should I do?
howardS

Post by howardS »

Call Roland tech support in your country and see what they recommend. Perhaps it's just a bad flash drive and you need to run it again from another drive though I wouldn't do that until you speak with them.
snowbird122

Post by snowbird122 »

I talked to tech support. They didn't know exactly what the problem was, but they advised me that it was ok to just power down and try again and they said that would probably fix it. Interesting that all the documentation warns against this.

I powered down and everything was fine (still had full functionality of the old firmware). After a lot of troubleshooting, I found that I wasn't following the directions properly when formatting the USB. Once I followed the directions, everything worked fine and the update completed in about 3 minutes.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I guess it was running or trying to run the update but as it hadn't written anything yet to the RD so it was ok to power down and do it again. I know with routers you can brick them by installing incorrect firmware and it can be hard or perhaps impossible to revive them afterwards. I don't know if that can happen with the RD but you don't want to risk it by powering down while performing the update. You kind of had no choice of course as you would have had to power down just to bring it to them for service. I'm glad it worked out.