Sharing sounds

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
dalemmi

Sharing sounds

Post by dalemmi »

Hi all!
Who would be interested in sharing sound settings / Live Sets for the RD700NX? Is there a possibility to save just one Live Set at a time to USB, or is it only possible to save the whole user-bank?
howardS

Re: Sharing sounds

Post by howardS »

Everyone has their own way of making and using the live sets so I am not sure there would be a lot to share. That said, I thought I would try and answer your question on how to share the live sets. There is no easy way to save just one live set. You are right that one way would be to share an entire live set user bank and just tell the person you are sharing it with to look at a specific live set within that bank. The person getting the live set from you can move it to their own user bank in a 5 steps:

1. Back up their own live set
2. Load your live set
3. Select the specific live that you shared with them set which puts it into temporary memory
4. Then load the live set file that was backed up in step 1.
5. The temporary memory still has that live set in memory from Step 3 so you can then save it to an available user preset.

That's a long way to go but it does work.

Separate from that you can share a single sound is by having your computer grab it from your RD700NX using MIDI-OX as described in the 9th post on this thread. You basically have the computer grab the temporary memory live set parameters and then share those parameters with another user who has to use MIDI-OX to place it into their RD's temporary memory. I prefer this method as you end up only sharing one specific live set but I think the first method might be easier to do.
dalemmi

Post by dalemmi »

Thanks for the comment, howardS. I had taken a look at the mentioned thread earlier and decided that it would take too much hassle. I am running my PC on Linux and don't have a MIDI-card, so MIDI-interfacing is not just plug'n play for me ... Connecting through USB is the only easy option I see for the moment. If it's not possible that way, I might have to give up the idea of using a direct PC-Interface.

Your 5 step option could actually be used much easier. I might prepare a completely blank live set bank (all programs set to INIT LIVE SET) and save it as blank template. Then load the desired sound into the temporary memory, load the blank template to erase all other settings, save the temporary live set to e.g. live set no 1 and export/share it. The resulting file should then contain my specifically chosen live set plus all other live sets set to INIT. Is that right?
howardS

Post by howardS »

Yes, dalemmi, I think the 5 step process may be easier and the way you described it should work.

As far as the MIDI option, you could try using MIDI through USB. I dont know Linux well but it may work and then you wouldn't need standard MIDI interface. Again, not sure if it is worth all the hassle though doing it through MIDI.