Patch changing made easy

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
MarcoPolo

Patch changing made easy

Post by MarcoPolo »

Just further to the last posting I have designed a patch increment/decrement pedal unit which saves locking your pedals into system mode. Information, Verobard layout,component list and hex files are available on the UrbanLegendBand.co.uk site http://www.UrbanLegendBand.co.uk/GeekPage.aspx. This saves your pedals for the real jobs you want them to do sustain, hold and soft for example.
howardS

Re: Patch changing made easy

Post by howardS »

Are you sending sysex through the pedal or is it program change info, MarcoPolo? I am asking as I have a midi pedal but it doesn't send sysex, only PC, CC and note info.
MarcoPolo

Post by MarcoPolo »

The patch change is achieved through a PIC chip sensing the pedal switches and then sending sysex to RD-700NX. This is the only way I could figure out how to accomplish this. You have to send a bank change message first before the patch increment/decrement or the RD-700NX doesn't respond to the changes.I tried all sorts of stuff with MIDI before I resorted to sysex first and couldn't get any results.

If you read the RD-700NX stuff on the web site you will see in one of Roland's replies to me that the reason this keyboard is awkward is that Roland have gone for a file based system rather than MIDI, which is why you can't get a MIDI based bulk data dump of voices or produce a MIDI based librarian etc.

I sort of understand because with a file based operating system there must be a chance of being able to introduce a virus into the operating system and completely screw the keyboard up, and the programmers will naturally want to prevent this. This however is conjecture on my part I haven't asked Roland the question.

I hope this helps.
howardS

Post by howardS »

That does help in that it confirms what I believe which is that you can only do it with sysex, not by sending MIDI events such as CC info. I am probably going to integrate MIDI rack software into my rig such as Forte or Cantabile. I know Cantabile allows you to set up what they call triggers which lets you take an incoming MIDI event and will then send sysex info. With this I would be able to use my current pedalboard to do the live set up/down on the RD-700NX.