RD700SX with Macbook Pro

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
mariolv

RD700SX with Macbook Pro

Post by mariolv »

Hi - I am new to the world of Mac. Have had my RD for a while. I connected the two and installed the RD700-SX driver on my Mac. Went to Audio/Midi setup in utilities on my Mac and configured the midi based on instructions on Roland website (basically saw my RD piano, created 5 new devices, and dragged the 5 connectors - one to each of the 5 new devices).

So far so good. In Garageband, RD-700 shows up.

What I can't figure out: when I press a note it sounds ok through the Mac. So hear the grand piano sound on the MAC. However, each time I release a note, I get a chime-like sound through the speakers. Each time, AFTER I released a note. Apparently a MIDI event for note-off is creating this, but can't figure out how to turn that off.

I searched the internet and found that other people would have this happen as well, but couldn't find a solution. I am guessing it's somewhere within the MAC I would have to tell it not to generate a sound on the note-off event, but not sure where to start.

From what I read, and I haven't tried this: if you record, you will not hear those chimes. So they are not part of the recording, only of the live monitoring. But since I am planning on using this setup at a live venue, I can't have that.
Rodan

Re: RD700SX with Macbook Pro

Post by Rodan »

Hi, malolv.

You probably know this already, but these double sound issues often are due to the fact that both the keyboard and the software are creating a sound and you are hearing both. Which grand piano are you listening to? The one generated in the RD-700 or the one created by Garageband? If you have the audio output of the RD-700 connected to speakers, you will hear its sound when you press a key, but that sound will not be recorded by Garageband. If you have the MIDI output of the RD-700 connected to the Mac, you will hear the sound produced by the garageband instrument at nearly the same time and that is the sound that you will be recording.

If you want to be using the Garageband sounds, then you have it hooked up correctly, you just have to turn down the volume on the RD-700 so you don't hear its sound at the same time. You will be recording into a "Software instrument track." If, on the other hand, you really wanted to record the RD-700 sound into Garageband, they you have to hook the audio output of the RD-700 into the Mac and you will be recording into a "Real instrument track."

Oh wait, I reread your post, you wanted to use this setup live. So I guess you definitely want a software instrument, be sure you aren't hearing the RD-700 at the same time.