Think im going to sell my RD700NX soon...

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
delirium

Re: Think im going to sell my RD700NX soon...

Post by delirium »

Fantom G sucks, everybody agree with this so you wanna stay with G???
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

G doesn't really suck as a music making tool. i think it just needs a better sequencer editor but that's another discussion over in the FG forum. I have no issue since ive been always using DAW with my FG along with other au's. im going to stick with the FG cause i like the keybed and the ARX01&03, and some of the samples ive bought in the past for it. it's actually pretty good if one knows how to program it. but getting an integra7 on top of the FG seemed too redundant, so thinking of going another route.. probably a Korg.

btw, my wife gave me a KC110 (roland amp) recently to use with my CP1. sounds fantastic through it. :p
usually my setup is through a PROVLA2 and some added delay and slight verb from MX400 to HS80's. but this old way of just hooking things up dry right to an amp makes the rhodes inside the CP sound good in a different way.

might get me a vox amp down the road.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

howardS wrote:The point I think he is making is that many people added other effects to these old boards in the real world so why limit it when recreating the sounds on the CP1. We add phaser and other effects that weren't on the original boards just as we pair Leslie speakers to Hammond organs. I guess if one is a purest then perhaps there is no point on adding these effects but I doubt many of us play Hammond organ sounds without any Leslie effect, you know, the way Hammond intended it.
i would get a Electro4HP for something like that. been seriously considering getting one for my playing side of things just to add to my collection. :) they have a few rhodes sounds i really liked when i had the stageEX. just not as dynamic or programmable as the CP1. also mine had the waterfall keybed (thinking i would practice organ...) never happened. i could never like that keybed. im a tines kinda guy i guess. i dont really play the reed pianos, DX or clavs or harps or organs usually.

next time around with nord, it will definitely be the weighted action. im keeping both my CP1 and VPiano until the thing falls apart. right now im too lazy to pack up the RD to put it up for sale.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

i guess my real question is why roland still sucks at reproducing tine pianos. they sucked decades ago with mk80 or whatever they were called using SA synthesis. i remember checking them out at the stores when they first came out. it sounded new and completely different from the DX sounds so it was refreshing, but sounded nothing like the mk1 or mk2 etc.

20yrs later, still can't get em to sound right with supernatural EP.

and damn it, please fix the note cut-off problem playing over usb wav files on the RD700NX.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

so i still have my RD. :D

and was playing with it this week, made new piano patches (concert and studio grands), and i think im going to keep it even if it's just for the piano sounds and the nice keybed.

was playing along side my trusty old sr18 and having a good time. then switched over to my CP1 when i felt like playing my tines. then back to my RD to play piano, and so on so forth.

like how guitarists have a couple of guitars all with its different flavors, why not i guess.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

...apparently noone cares...
howardS

Post by howardS »

Hey kenchan, you know I care. :)

I do agree that they have a different colour. It would be nice if one board had the best of all sounds for your ear but it is good that you have the luxury of being able to keep the RD as well.
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

howardS wrote:Hey kenchan, you know I care. :)

I do agree that they have a different colour. It would be nice if one board had the best of all sounds for your ear but it is good that you have the luxury of being able to keep the RD as well.
thanks, howards! :D
howardS

Post by howardS »

Also, I meant to tell you that I tried the "press and hold" on the CP1 as you suggested, Kenchan, and of course, it worked!
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

howardS wrote:Also, I meant to tell you that I tried the "press and hold" on the CP1 as you suggested, Kenchan, and of course, it worked!
hahaha, sounds good! :D

the layout is fairly simple on the CP1...kind of reminds me of an old stereo integrated amp from the 70's and 80's.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I also like the layout and thought it looked pretty retro '70s. The knobs feel that way too.