700 GX-bad note in Expressive Grand program

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
roland65

700 GX-bad note in Expressive Grand program

Post by roland65 »

I am a newbie...apologies if I am posting this incorrectly. I bought a used RD700GX a few months ago. I recently noticed that the G and Ab above middle C have a "chirp" in it. I call it a "chirp" because it sounds just like a cricket chirp. If I transpose up a step, the "chirp" is now on the A and Bb notes, which tells me it is not the keys itself but rather the Expressive Grand program. Also hear it in one of the other piano programs--but the rest of the programs (sounds) are uneffected. Any ideas what this could be and any remedy? Thanks in advance for your help!
howardS

Re: 700 GX-bad note in Expressive Grand program

Post by howardS »

Sounds like artifact noise in one of the samples themselves. I have the RD700NX which has what I think are very clean samples. You could perhaps get the SuperNatural upgrade kit for your GX which brings SuperNatural pianos to your GX. You could also try a firmware upgrade and see if that does anything although I doubt that would fix it.
roland65

Post by roland65 »

That's exactly what I have been considering HowardS. I wasn't sure if that would address it or not. But if it brings in the piano sounds from the NX, then it seems logical that the upgrade might be just the thing. Helps to know that someone else thinks this might work. Thanks for your thoughts!
howardS

Post by howardS »

I heard similar artifact noise on many if not all of the sample sets from the various manufactures. For Roland, I know it was there on the SRX11, the Fantom Pianos (X and G) and the 700 series up to the NX. They were on different notes but they were there. You may have trouble finding that kit though as I think it may have been discontinued. Let me know what you end up doing.
roland65

Post by roland65 »

Yeah, I just checked ebay and did not find anything. A while back I checked and there was a couple for sale. So maybe it's just a matter of time when one will turn up. Thanks again for all your help!

It wasn't so obvious when I first got it...now it drives me crazy. Especially when playing with headphones. I can change to a different piano sound and the "chirp" is not there....but the other piano sounds do not sound as good as the Expressive Grand to me. Actually, this artifact is present on another program... "SoundLift Grand"??? Think that's the name...can't remember the exact name and I'm not at the keyboard now.
howardS

Post by howardS »

See if you can go in and edit the patch and see if they use the same sample set. I am sure they do.
roland65

Post by roland65 »

Hey HowardS..thanks for your help. I was thinking about updating the firmware since that is something I could do right now (and I can't find the SN upgrade kit). Are there any risks associated with doing this? I bought this board used so I have no warranty. I can just see it now....the keyboard "crashing" and I am left with board that won't work. Probably just being paranoid but I would love to get your thoughts. Do you think it is worth trying? If this doesn't fix the problem are there any other benefits to upgrading firmware? Guess what I'm getting at is if you think it is unlikely this will fix the problem and there are no other benefits to updating firmware, I might not try it....but if there are other benefits (improved performance of some kind?) I might want to do it anyway. Just trying to weigh risks vs. the benefits before I "roll the dice" and try this update. I appreciate you taking time with me on this!
howardS

Post by howardS »

Well, I always check and upgrade the firmware for every keyboard or other device that I get. It is just a rule I have as factory firmware often has bugs that they work out later and .... then release updated firmware. I only ran into a problem once upgrading a router years ago with some custom firmware and it was my error as I used the wrong firmware...Do'h! I have upgraded my NX 3 or 4 times and would never hesitate doing an upgrade on something else I bought especially if it is to one that has been out for years. I am not sure what would happened if the update failed on the GX and perhaps you would want to speak with a Roland tech about that if you are still concerned. I often think that the only safeguard that I really should do when upgrading is to plug the device into a UPS power backup in case there is a power outage during the upgrade.
roland65

Post by roland65 »

Much thanks HowardS! I am going to dowload firmware and give it a shot.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Great. Let me know if it does anything to fix that chirp.
roland65

Post by roland65 »

You were right on both counts. The install was easy...as you predicted. But it did not remove the noise...as you also predicted. I am inclined to get the upgrade kit...I've heard positive things about it. Just gotta find it. I think you are right about the discontinuation.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Thanks for the update. I find that almost all these piano samples have noise on one key or another at certain velocities so this is not just a "Roland problem". I have not found a single artifact noise though on the NX so hopefully the upgrade kit will be the same quality as the NX.

Also, remember, roland65, that although the chirp is annoying, in the real world every wooden piano has some flaw such as a buzzing of some metal part or something in the room reverberating, uneven keybeds or hammers, and every one of these will can drive us crazy. It's just part of the challenge that we piano player will need to work around in order to get that sound we want from these pianos.
roland65

Post by roland65 »

Good point about how authentic acoustic pianos have flaws. Had not really thought of it quite like that. Makes the chirp slightly more bearable. Haha. Also good to know that most boards have something like this. Not that I wish it on anyone....but I feel a little better about my board now. Thanks again for the insights.