Changing sounds in live performance on 700NX

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
roger_dodger

Changing sounds in live performance on 700NX

Post by roger_dodger »

Hi everyone from New Zealand.

We've just upgraded our RD-600 to an RD-700NX, and are enjoying it.

One thing I've noticed though is that when you're playing a sound (holding the notes), if you press a preset button to change the sound, it changes instantly (or instantly cuts the sound off).

On my old RD-600 it didn't do this, it continued to play the former sound until the next key was pressed, which played the newly selected sound.

Is there any way to change this behaviour on the RD-700NX to be more like my RD-600?

Thanks!
torhus

Re: Changing sounds in live performance on 700NX

Post by torhus »

The sound doesn't change, but the effects do. That's what you're hearing.

The exception is the Hammond organ emulator (ie. the Tonewheel Live sets), where the sound actually changes. This is usually what you want, though. Or at least what I want.
kudzu69

Post by kudzu69 »

Yeah, I wish there was way to fix it so the jumps aren't so drastic.
howardS

Post by howardS »

Well, you could edit the effects so they are more consistent between the patches you are using. I think that the RD-600 had only 2 layers and 1 effects block whereas the RD700 NX has 4 layers and 8 effects blocks (2 per layer). So you could create a bunch of patches that don't use very much of the effects and then your drops will be lessened or eliminated.

You could also use different layers of a single live set for one song and simply turn on and off the layers as needed. You could put piano on layer one, rhodes on layer 2 and clav on layer 3 of one live set and then just turn on and off the individual layers. You can really fine tune the effects of each patch of the layer as you have those 2 MFX blocks per layer.

Another way around it is to use multiple live sets with the same effects settings for each of the layers. If you put piano on one layer and rhodes on a second and then save two separate copies of that live set with piano active on live set 1 and rhodes on live set 2 then you can switch between them more smoothly as the effects for each layer are the same between those two live sets. You can get more complicated if you like and have other layers on as well as options so long as when you switch between the live sets you make sure the MFX of the active layer matches the MFX of the same layer of the next live set then you should be ok.

The only thing I dont like about either of the above options if that it only works with respect to notes you are holding, not ones sustained with the use of the sustain pedal. The sustain pedal works only on the new active layer.

Any of this make sense?
roger_dodger

Post by roger_dodger »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your helpful replies.

And Howard those suggestions are helpful, even if they don't eliminate the problem.

I think I'll work on changing the sound on a different layer, and then switching layers when I need to

Regards
Phil
howardS

Post by howardS »

That's great, Phil. Let us know how it works out for you.