First-time poster, RD-700NX question for owners

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
tflynnuk

First-time poster, RD-700NX question for owners

Post by tflynnuk »

Hi there,

I'm a long-time lurker of these forums, but wanted to register as I am very close to purchasing an RD-700NX (although I will just wait until Musikmesse just in-case the unthinkable happens and something gets announced!)...

I've had a visit to one locally, and am familiar with the action and 'feel' from owning a Fantom G8 a few years ago. There have been plenty of videos online for me to watch to get an idea of what it sounds like, but I've really struggled finding examples of some of the EP patches.

I'm particularly keen (for my sins) on the 1980s FM-style patches, and I wondered how the RD-700NX fares on those sort of sounds? I've heard a couple of presets on the SA EP1 set which sound pretty close. Are there other good DX7-style patches in either the SA EP1 section or further down in the tones list?

Looking at the data list there are a few that name-wise, sound like they'll be what I'm after but maybe some current owners can help me out.

I'll most likely take the hit anyway in the hope that I can tweak some of the patches to sound a bit more DX7 like, as I *love* the rest of what I've heard, but thought I would ask the question!

Cheers
Tim.
howardS

Re: First-time poster, RD-700NX question for owners

Post by howardS »

Hi Tim,

I bought a DX7 back in 1983 which I kept for years. I don't particularly like the EP sounds from the DX very much although I know it has it's place. I say that so you understand that as my opinion is not based on any serious usage of that sound from my RD. I can tell you that a number of sounds though are def reminiscent of the EP sounds I used to play on my DX7. Also, the RD has about 1000 sets of tones although there are only 300 preset live sets so you may find even more with a little digging. I just looked and found one tone called FM EP 1 and another called FM EP 2 so try those out perhaps before you buy it.

Howard
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

im not a big fan of the DX7 ep sounds either, but if that's your thing along with playing other ep sounds, i recommend getting the CP1 instead. it has a real FM tone generator inside dedicated to playing those authentic DX sounds and the ep's are so much nicer in the CP vs the RD.

if you're a piano player, i'd get the RD700NX for sure. i find myself only playing the concert and studio grands off my RD700NX.

keybed wise, i like both the RD and the CP's feel. they are very different, but once you get the hand of both keybeds, you will be able to play pretty much any keybed out there including real acoustic pianos down to fatar (kinda cheap feel) keybeds.
tflynnuk

Post by tflynnuk »

Thanks both for your replies, this is really useful! I had been looking at the CP1 as well, especially as the price has fallen a little in the UK, so there is only about £500 difference between the two compared with when the CP1 was released.

I'll do a bit more research me thinks :) There is a bit more "appeal" to the RD700NX though, I have to admit! I just feel like it'll be a little bit more flexible and I'm less likely to find it limiting in 12-months time if I'm feeling more adventurous!
howardS

Post by howardS »

Obviously the RD is my choice between these two boards, Tflynnuk, and it wasn't because it was cheaper. I also think the RD is a more flexible instrument with a wider pallette of sounds. Even if they were both the same price I would have bought the RD over the CP1. That said, I respect Kenchan's ears on this of course and he certainly prefers the EP sounds on the CP1 so give them both a test drive and let us know what your research tells you.

Howard
kenchan

Post by kenchan »

tflynnuk wrote:Thanks both for your replies, this is really useful! I had been looking at the CP1 as well, especially as the price has fallen a little in the UK, so there is only about £500 difference between the two compared with when the CP1 was released.

I'll do a bit more research me thinks :) There is a bit more "appeal" to the RD700NX though, I have to admit! I just feel like it'll be a little bit more flexible and I'm less likely to find it limiting in 12-months time if I'm feeling more adventurous!
wow, only 500 difference between the CP1 and RD700NX? that's a huge sale. :)

in the US most authorized dealers sell the CP1 still in the upper $4K range and RD700NX around $2.6K range.

i would also keep an eye open for what Nord might release next. I have a feeling Piano3's going to be maybe coming out pretty soon? Perhaps bigger memory and possibly programmable layer zones? that would be cool. :)
tflynnuk

Post by tflynnuk »

Good shout! I'm still leaning towards the RD-700 but I'll wait a while more :) Price has dropped a little more to £1999 for the Roland...