assigning midi channels to parts

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Beerend

assigning midi channels to parts

Post by Beerend »

Does anyone know if it's possible to assign different midi channels to the UPPER1/2 and LOWER1/2 parts on the RD700NX? They are standardly assigned ch 1-4.
The point is that I'd like to select the sound/preset/registration on my RD700NX from my Jupiter 80, but without playing it from the JP80. In the JP80 the PERC/LOWER/UPPER/SOLO parts transmit on midi channels 1-4 as well..... It would make sense to assign e.g. UPR1 to midi channel 8 and then transmit the right MSB/LSB/PC combi on ch8 from the JP80 to the RD700NX.
Thanks,
Beerend
howardS

Re: assigning midi channels to parts

Post by howardS »

I'm not in front of my RD so I cant look at it right now but let me try to give you some direction. I know you can set the midi receive channel for receipt of control information as set out on p.69 of the manual but that is to change the live set itself. Perhaps the Midi send and receive channels for each layer match up...I'm not sure and would need to test this. If you cant change it then you may need to change the midi transmit channels on the JP although I seem to recall that I was able to do change the receive channel on my RD.

Anyhow, I also wanted to tell you that you will also need to set the Part Mode to 16Part rather than 16Part + Perf so that changes you send from the JP80 affect those first 4 layers. When set to 16Part + Perf the changes you make via midi dont affect the 4 layers played on the RD. When you set it to just 16Part then the first 4 layers of the performance are the same 4 layers played on the RD. I hope this helps you.