Damper/Sustain pedal with strings

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
alphasierra

Damper/Sustain pedal with strings

Post by alphasierra »

Hi all,

I've been a Technics man for about twenty years and have finally broken away and bought myself an RD700NX.

I think I must be missing something obvious and am hoping someone can help clarify: I can't get sustain/damper pedal to work as it should, with stringy sounds. Sostenuto, yes, but not sustain.

I know plenty of people might ask why I would want to sustain strings but I like the effect it has. If I wanted to be authentic I would buy a violin! In any case, the problem also applies to synth pads and seemingly any sound where you might also want sostenuto.

I can't believe they wouldn't give people the option. It must be there somewhere!

I can confirm that my pedal is in the Damper port and works properly with piano sounds.

Can anyone Help?

Andy
torhus

Re: Damper/Sustain pedal with strings

Post by torhus »

Works fine for me when I try the Strings 1 preset Live set. You could press Layer Edit and check that it looks ok, the second to last page there is on/off settings for the pedals and other controllers for each layer.
alphasierra

Post by alphasierra »

Yeah I've played around with some of those settings to no avail. Just to be clear, the pedal does work, but instead of giving a typical sustain fade-out, the note simply hangs on indefinitely like sostenuto. Is that what you're getting? I would normally use a separate sostenuto pedal for this.
torhus

Post by torhus »

That's what the sustain pedal does, it's just the same as holding the keys down. For piano sounds it also adds string resonance.

The sostenuto pedal is the exact same thing again, except that it only works for keys that are down when you depress the pedal.

You can increase the Release value in Tone Edit for a similar effect. In the string presets this parameter can be controlled with the Lower 1 slider.
alphasierra

Post by alphasierra »

Thanks. I will take a look.