No backup for favourites

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
howardS

No backup for favourites

Post by howardS »

I wish there was a way to back up the system area, grey button edits and the favourites selections but I dont think there is any way to do that. If you backup of a live set it doesn't contain any of that information. I have had to reconstruct my favourites a few times which is really frustrating...and silly so I thought I would perhaps use favourites a little differently. Instead of assigning live sets to favourites I save the live set I want to use to the default live set location. If you have not set any favourites then you will see that the RD has certain live sets already saved to various locations. They are:

Live set buttons: ..0...1...2 ...3...4....5....6.....7.....8........9
Bank A - .............01, 21, 41, 61, 81, 101, 121, 141, 161 and 181
Bank B - .............02, 22, 42, 62, 82, 102, 122, 142, 162 and 182
Bank C - .............03, 23, 43, 63, 83, 103, 123, 143, 163 and 183
Bank D - .............04, 24, 44, 64, 84, 104, 124, 144, 164 and 184

Now let's say I want to save Live Set 19 into as a favourite so when I select Live Set Button 0 of Bank A it would come up. Well if I do that and then go to another RD700nx or update the firmware on my board then I have to set it all up again since there is no way to save the favourites settings. Instead I have started saving the ones I want to use as favourites to what I will call the default locations for these favourites. In this example, I would use MarcoPolo's librarian program to move live set 19 to live set 01 and leave the favourite setting alone. The RD will then just call up the default favourite which is 01 and as long as I put my live set into the right location it will work. It is a backwards way to set favourites but we have to just do what works. I would prefer that Roland include a way to save the favourites as well but until then I will just save my live sets this way.

I hope this workaround is useful for other users here.
lekanout

Re: No backup for favourites

Post by lekanout »

Ho howard.
I'm here in roland clan because i have a jupiter 80,but i bought recently a rd 700 nx.
I'ts a fantastic board.

I'm a semi pro live player and all my synth are configured for live use,so i discover the favorite save and organisation problem you described.
This problem is strange because for all the other things the rd is quite perfect.
It would be so simple to have a "global save" to recall quickly a total configuration and i don't know why roland didn't make that.
My jupiter 80 have this(even if there are other organisation problems)

When i discover this topic you wrote,i recognize" the way i think" to try to organise better each keyboard a have.
This way to do is really helpfull in use,i didn't think of that yet and it's a good thing for me.
Many thanks man!!
howardS

Re: No backup for favourites

Post by howardS »

I agree that this board is wonderful. The sounds on it are so good it became my go-to board. But any pro board should have a global save so you can back up your sounds and easily load them on another identical board in another city. Well, this way to save favourites allows for this functionality although it's a silly way to have to do it. But with all these keyboards there are issues. Some have workarounds and others do now. I'm glad this one had a workaround and that my post was helpful for you, lekanout.