Using an external MIDI controller with the RD-700NX

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
prunenoveggie

Using an external MIDI controller with the RD-700NX

Post by prunenoveggie »

Hello! I've been an RD-700NX user for almost a year now. I have learned much from reading these forums, however, this is my first post.

I just ordered an M-Audio Axiom 49, and I want to be able to set it up to give me as much control as possible over my RD-700 (I'll primarily use the Axiom's keyboard for playing organ and synth sounds, as well as drum sounds on the pads). However, reading through the MIDI Implementation has my head spinning.

Specifically, I would like to know if I can assign the 9 Faders to the Organ Drawbar settings (I doubt it from what I've read, but I believe the Axiom can be programmed to send SysEx messages, maybe that could help). Also, If there's anyway to assign the buttons and knobs to turn on/off and control the effects parameters on different layers, that would be helpful.

If you have any other advice, tips, or tricks to share, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
howardS

Re: Using an external MIDI controller with the RD-700NX

Post by howardS »

Specifically, I would like to know if I can assign the 9 Faders to the Organ Drawbar settings (I doubt it from what I've read, but I believe the Axiom can be programmed to send SysEx messages, maybe that could help).
In a word, no.

Also, my guess is that we won't see that functionality on the RD. We know they could do it as they have it on other keyboards that have the VK engine as well as the Integra-7 but they appear to have decided long ago to keep full organ functionality off their stage piano.
prunenoveggie

Post by prunenoveggie »

Thanks. I expected that to be the case, I was just hoping someone had found a workaround that they could share with us all!

Do you have any idea if you can control the effects of different layers via MIDI? Or is it only on the one layer you select, just like when you're playing the RD-700NX?

At least I'll be able to use a real expression pedal with my organ sounds, without sacrificing one of my RPU-3's pedals to connect it!
howardS

Post by howardS »

Honestly, prunenoveggie, I gave up trying. It seemed complicated and was fraught with limitations so I decided instead to use a laptop and run some plugins for some sounds. It doesn't appear that Roland wants us to think of the RD700nx this way so why fight it. Instead if I want to do things remotely I just do it with plugins on my computer. I have a couple of NanoKontrol-lers from Korg and use that to run my virtual organ which is VB3 among some other software. It is more rewarding for me that way.
At least I'll be able to use a real expression pedal with my organ sounds, without sacrificing one of my RPU-3's pedals to connect it!
That's definitely a plus.