Midi (again) RD700 and I'm new at all this!

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
MikeeH

Midi (again) RD700 and I'm new at all this!

Post by MikeeH »

Hello folks

I would be very glad if anyone can give me any advice. Like I said, I am fairly new to this (midi) but have managed to get myself a roland RD700 as a starting point.
I would like to be able to transmit midi to my Laptop (Windows 7) so I can use the piano sound in Cubase (I have a copy of Cubase that came with my graphics card) and can also use the percussion / drum sounds
I figured that it should be possible, so armed with a lot of enthusiasm, I tried to link it all together using (and I know I shouldnt) a cheap usb to midi interface from Amazon.

I get nothing. I'm stuck!

There is nothing to say that cubase is set up wrong.
There is nothing to say that the Piano is set up wrong.
I believe that the Midi driver is all working as it should too!

Please can someone help me with any part of this and give me an encouraging nudge in the right direction? I am happy to check settings and get back to you if that helps. like I said, I am very much a novice!

Thanks again
Michael
howardS

Re: Midi (again) RD700 and I'm new at all this!

Post by howardS »

I don't use Cubase but I am wondering if Cubase is getting any midi data from the RD. Can you see any data coming in? Is there a setting in Cubase to tell it where to receive midi data. Every DAW and host I have seen requires you to select the right midi in port. Have you set that?
MikeeH

Post by MikeeH »

thanks for the starter here.

I am sure that i have it set right. incidentally, i dont see any of the lights flicker that say i am getting signal across the usb / midi hub.. when i play notes..

I have a standalone midi instrument and it doesnt work with that either. it is the tascam virtual piano..

Im trying to narrow down further. is it the Piano missing a setting? or is it the laptop build? or probably the USB midi cable interface thing..

help still greatfully received.

Thanks
howardS

Post by howardS »

Ok, we have no way to know, at this point if any midi information is making its way to your computer. You need to check to make sure that the USB midi cable is working properly and that the RD is sending MIDI data. If there are lights which should light on the cable and if none of the lights are flickering then it sounds like there may be a problem with the adapter or perhaps the RD is not sending the MIDI data. Have you set MIDI TX on as described on p. 62 of the RD700 manual?
MikeeH

Post by MikeeH »

Hello. Thank you.

Afraid to say, i have tried to follow the instructions in the manual.. and still there is nothing that is making the lights flicker on the USB device. Probably means that this is at fault..
but bear in mind this is my first foray into MIDI etc.. and i might have stuffed things up..

I have never done a factory reset (as described in the manual) is that a safe thing to do? does it keep all the sounds etc..? forgive the daft question.
howardS

Post by howardS »

It is safe. In fact I always do a factory reset when I first get a keyboard just to clear out anything that may have been edited by a previous user. Try it and see if that helps.