Goodbye RD700 series ... Hello RD800 !

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
drpopper

Goodbye RD700 series ... Hello RD800 !

Post by drpopper »

The new RD800 has been announced ...

tonycroftkbd

Re: Goodbye RD700 series ... Hello RD800 !

Post by tonycroftkbd »

I have just seen this - wow! I think my new gigging rig might be this and an FA-06.
kokocalamar

Post by kokocalamar »

I was literally just about to buy a RD-700NX when the RD-800 was announced!

(It does look significantly cheaper though..)

Anyway, does anybody know in what way the Supernatural EP:s have been improved?

Roland states: "Newly enhanced SuperNATURAL-based electric pianos."

Thanks.
torhus

Post by torhus »

The SN Rhodes didn't sound very impressive in the video I saw. Anyway, the best Rhodes sound in the NX is in my opinion a non-SN sound called Stage EP 1. Maybe they've kept that one in the RD-800?
Semolina pilchard

Post by Semolina pilchard »

I'd gone one step further than kokocalamar and pulled the trigger on a 700NX. RD800 was announced 4 days later! Fortunately my friendly retailer was happy to take the 700 back from me and I'm waiting for the 800 to come into the UK.

Only trouble so far is that none of the demos I've seen are convincing me that the 800 is a step up in sound quality, although I'm hoping it's just the quality of the audio recordings. My brief ownership of the 700 was long enough to convince me that I liked it a lot, so I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be a waste of time ( and that there'll still be plenty of 700s still out there if I do decide to stick!). I also agree with Torhus by the way that I preferred the Stage EP1 tone to the SN EPs.

Waiting on a decent demo/review from someone, but otherwise trying to be patient!
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

Wait for the 800. I played it at NAMM. I can't say it's a "significant" improvement over the 700, but I would still wait. The new keys felt really incredible, and the Pianos did sound quite nice. The build quality had a fairly solid design. A little more plastic then previous models (similar to a Kronos), but the Roland reps kept talking about the internal metal case and how solid they had been the numerous times they dropped them moving them around at NAMM. I think it's worth the wait.
keysme

Post by keysme »

The RD-800 supernatual piano sounds really good but there are a few drawbacks vs. the RD-700NX. The RD-800 can't playback MP3 or midi files and it only has 200 Live Sets vs. the 300 Live Sets plus 100 User Sets on the RD-700NX. The 700NX has a more robust multi-effects system i.e. 2 x 4 systems, 84 types vs. the RD-800's 4 systems, 56 types. The PHA-III keybed on the RD-700NX has superb action whilst the RD-800 PHA-IV keybed action isn't as good from what I understand.

But the RD-800 does have a few advantages over the RD-700NX. It cost $200 less plus there is now a Supernatural Clav included on the RD-800. The display LCD graphics have been bumped up to 320 x 240 dots vs. 240 x 128 dots but the 700NX has a back-lit LCD, whereas, there is no mention of a back-lit LCD on the RD-800. Go figure.

The RD-800 is roughly 7 pounds lighter than the 700NX which is good plus there is also 148 more tones on the 800. The 800 has a 5-band digital equalizer whereas the 700NX has a 4-band digital equalizer. The RD-800 also includes a W/LAN adapter which is something the RD-700NX doesn't have. Although the 700NX has an option for a CD Drive and thus the ability to play Audio CD's (CD-DA) which isn't an option for the RD-800 as far as I know.

If you already own the RD-700NX then there is no need to upgrade to the RD-800 but obviously that's a personal decision. The RD-800 has an excellent acoustic piano plus other great sounds but so does the RD-700NX. But if you don't already own a stage piano then the RD-800 would be an excellent choice in my opinion. On the other hand the RD-700NX is getting harder to come by so if you prefer the RD-700NX you better hurry before they're all gone. ;)
Semolina pilchard

Have just unpacked my RD800 tonight and I can only say that I hope it's going to grow on me! After only an hour or so at the keyboard, I'm feeling a little underwhelmed at the moment.

Whilst I can definitely hear that the EPs are much improved over the 700 NX, my feeling at the moment is that the APs are a backward step - less real and 'organic' sounding than I think the 700 was and slightly metallic in quality. I only had my 700NX for a week, as I decided to return it to the store and wait for the 800, but I'm not convinced it's an upgrade in terms of AP tones - and that's what I want most of all. Even the 'NX' labelled tones don't sound as good to me.

I can't do an A-B test between the two right now, but I do know that the 700 just made me want to keep on playing and I don't get that same buzz from this board.. so far.

Will persevere for a day or two, but at this stage I'm thinking of downgrading back to the 700. All in the eye of the beholder and everything, but would be interested to hear what any other early adopters make of it.
Semolina pilchard

Just stumbled across this old thread again and thought I should add an update. Not really sure why I was so negative at the time. All I can say now is that I absolutely love the RD800. I'm primarily a guitar player that also plays keys and the last year or so has seen me almost exclusively choosing to play keyboards in various projects and bands I've played with. The action is near perfect, it's pretty intuitive to use and I think it sounds great!

After my initial disappointment I found the RD800 really grew on me and I've become a much better piano player over the last 18 months or so - simply because I've played so much and stretched myself to try new stuff. Love it!

Just thinking about adding a FA-06 as a second tier board now!
SEA

Post by SEA »

spottingjonah wrote:Wait for the 800. I played it at NAMM. I can't say it's a "significant" improvement over the 700, but I would still wait. The new keys felt really incredible, and the Pianos did sound quite nice. The build quality had a fairly solid design. A little more plastic then previous models (similar to a Kronos), but the Roland reps kept talking about the internal metal case and how solid they had been the numerous times they dropped them moving them around at NAMM. I think it's worth the wait.
Old thread, but how was the action on the 800 vs the 700? i just played a 700 and it's a bit lighter than my Montage 8 and on the used market I thought it might be nice as a backup keyboard.

I tried the new RD 2000 but didn't like the action as much as the 700

Any tips?

Thanks!