RD-700SX - Clicking keys fixed!

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Possum

RD-700SX - Clicking keys fixed!

Post by Possum »

A few keys were making distracting clicking noises when hit hard. They were all next to each other, F, F# and G above middle C. More of a clacking noise - like the hammer hitting plastic.

I did a few searches on this topic. I saw some other folks had this problem with the RD-700 and the RD-700GX, but no one had posted a solution. I opened the cover to investigate.

My first thought was that the hammer felt was worn and I added some additional felt behind those keys. It improved the issue slightly, but did not fix.

Careful examination showed that the key mounting assembly for that section was a little loose. The affected keys were right at the end of that octave section. The back right screw that mounts the assembly onto the backer board was loose and stripped. I replaced it with a slightly thicker screw and added another screw in the next open position.

Repair complete - Keys feel good now and everything is tight.
madAhorn

Re: RD-700SX - Clicking keys fixed!

Post by madAhorn »

Very Cool! What a relief it is to find a solution after opening a potential can of worms.
howardS

Re: RD-700SX - Clicking keys fixed!

Post by howardS »

Hey Possum, I think I had a similar issue on my RD700nx although around A Bb and B below middle C. I opened up the board and tightened the screws as per your instructions and it seems that the issue is resolved so...thanks!