Assigning Logic controls to zone level sliders on RD700GX

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
Adam Zero

Assigning Logic controls to zone level sliders on RD700GX

Post by Adam Zero »

I have a RD 700GX, which I am using as a midi keyboard for use with Logic X. One of the new functions in Logic X is the “smart controls” feature, which are controls that can be assigned to external hardware controls. I want to assign some of the smart controls to my 700GX. I have been told by Roland that the only controllers on the 700GX that transmit midi messages are the FC1 / FC2 pedals and the zone level sliders. I want to assign the smart controls in Logic to the 4 zone level sliders and am having difficulty in doing so. Roland told me that, to do so, I need to “select the controller number for the parameter you wish to adjust in Logic”. So, on the Roland I go to Edit, Control and then to the page with the 4 zone level sliders. Alongside each slider are CC’s 1-99. So I scroll through them to find the parameter I want to adjust in Logic. In Logic, I have a software instrument opened and when i click on the smart control button, there are 4 parameters - zone, attack time, ambience and reverb. Now back on the Roland, attack time is controller number 73, reverb is controller number 91 but there are no controller numbers for zone or ambience. My first question is: Does this mean that the only parameters of this particular software instrument in Logic I am able to assign to zone level sliders on my Roland are reverb and attack time and that I cannot assign ambience or zone? If I’m wrong, how do I assign them if there is no corresponding CC number on Roland? The next question is that, even when I turn the dial on the Roland control page to 91 (for reverb) alongside zone slider UP1, it doesn’t work. In Logic, in order to assign one of the smart controls to an external midi device, you have to click on the I button, then click on “external assignment”, then click on “Learn”, then twiddle the knob (in this case slider) you are assigning to. But each time I do that, nothing happens and I can’t work out why. I’m not sure if this is a Logic issue or a Roland issue or both. I would be extremely grateful if anyone is able to help. Many thanks
cnourkeys

Re: Assigning Logic controls to zone level sliders on RD700GX

Post by cnourkeys »

wondering the same thing! someone please shed some light on this!