RD-800 System Program Version 1.03 Bug List (+ Wish List)

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
bgiles

RD-800 System Program Version 1.03 Bug List (+ Wish List)

Post by bgiles »

As there isn't a RD-800 section yet, I'm posting this in the RD-700 section.
I'm happy if an administrator creates a RD-800 section and moves this thread.

This has also been posted on the Roland UK forum.
http://www.rolandforums.co.uk/forums/viewthread/6847/

I thought it would be useful to create a thread where RD-800 owners can report system bugs, verified by other users, and then summarised for forwarded to Roland for confirmation and consideration in their next release.

This could also include requests for new features, in the form of a 'Wish List'.

The thread should be confined to version v1.03, as some of the earlier bugs may have been resolved.

How to know check the system program version of your RD-800.
1. Hold down [ DEC ] and [ INC ] and switch on the power to the unit.
2. After verifying the displayed version, switch off the power.

Bug list:
Tone 0327: Grand pipes
Symptom: If you adjust the CC72 (RELEASE TM) to a value above 64 via Assign 2 knob, the release tone is 2 semitones lower than the played pitch.
Reported: 21-03-14 to Roland.co.uk
Verification: Response from Roland below
I have taken a look into this and it is not a bug.
For this sound the designers made use of the pitch envelope on key off to create that almost mechanical feel to the sound.
When you increase the release of the amp envelope, you are then introducing the decay into the pitch envelope.
This method was used because naturally the pipe organ is not meant to sustain.
iceberg

Re: RD-800 System Program Version 1.03 Bug List (+ Wish List

Post by iceberg »

Add to my wish list

Sound number 522, "Acoustic Bs"

Adjust the velocity sensitivity. I can slowly press the key and get a very loud trigger.

If anyone has a work around for this let me know.

Iceberg...
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

iceberg wrote: Tone: 522 - "Acoustic Bs"
Adjust the velocity sensitivity. I can slowly press the key and get a very loud trigger.
If anyone has a work around for this let me know.
Iceberg...
Hi Iceberg
On page 28 of the manual, this is the explanation of the Velocity Sensitivity;

"This setting determines how the volume changes in response to the velocity.
The volume is increased as the keyboard is played with greater force when a positive value
is used; when a negative value is selected, the volume decreases as the keys are played with
greater force.
* This setting is disregarded with certain tones."

I would say that the setting works as intended, but advise if you disagree, and why.
iceberg

Post by iceberg »

This is an acoustic bass sound. It should not have a fixed velocity. There must be some variation in loudness depending on how hard you strike the key. Currently this sound has a fixed velocity trigger leading to very unnatural playing. If you have a fix where there is a variation in sound through velocity values 1 - 127 instead of a fixed trigger at a high velocity value please let me know.

Regards,

Iceberg
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

iceberg wrote:This is an acoustic bass sound. It should not have a fixed velocity. There must be some variation in loudness depending on how hard you strike the key. Currently this sound has a fixed velocity trigger leading to very unnatural playing. If you have a fix where there is a variation in sound through velocity values 1 - 127 instead of a fixed trigger at a high velocity value please let me know.
Setting the Velocity Sensitivity (V.SNS) to something around +10 in Layer Edit will give you greater dynamic control, and then save it off to a Live Set.
At the default setting of 0, I do agree that velocity curve is a little too shallow for a wide dynamic control, but maybe a string bass player would argue that is how it is when you pluck a real string bass, i.e. difficult to pluck softly!
Hope this helps.
iceberg

Post by iceberg »

Thanks for the idea bgiles. I'll give the live edit a go with the V.SNS setting changed.

I've played with several upright bass payers on ballads. I would expect a bit more variety on the velocity. Hopefully Roland can put this the the default patch.

Iceberg
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Tone 0367: PizzicatoStr
Symptom: E4-C5, Velocity Layer 1 (quietest) are mono, whereas the rest of the range (i.e below E4 and above C5) are stereo.
Reported: 20-04-14 to Roland.co.uk
Verification: Awaiting response
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

bgiles wrote:Tone 0367: PizzicatoStr
Symptom: E4-C5, Velocity Layer 1 (quietest) are mono, whereas the rest of the range (i.e below E4 and above C5) are stereo.
Reported: 20-04-14 to Roland.co.uk
Verification: Response from Roland below
I have had confirmation from Japan, and they will be resolving this issue in a future update. No ETA at the moment though.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Live Set/Layer Edit short-cut.
There may be a very good reason why Roland haven't provided the following feature for quickly editing the layer/zone tones.
When in a 'Live Set', or when 2 or more tones have been manually layered, the up/down cursor buttons remain disabled in the home screen.
It's only once user presses 'Live Set Edit' > 'Layer Edit' that the cursor buttons can be used to select the layer/zone to edit the tone.
Why can't the cursor buttons be used from the home screen to quickly access the layer/zone to edit the tone, without having to go through the 'Live Set Edit' menu?
I would guess this is also the case on the RD-700GX & RD-700NX.
In the case of the original RD-700, a single right cursor press takes you straight to the layer edit screen.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

A slightly annoying inconsistencies in menu access of the RD-800...

The right cursor takes you into a sub-menu (same as pressing ENTER)
But the left cursor does not take you out of a sub-menu, you have to press the EXIT/SHIFT key.

Even in sub-menus like 'Individual Note Voicing' where the left/right cursor keys are used to navigate, the left cursor should be able to take you out and back to the menu.

I also feel they could simplify 'LIVE SET EDIT' access in the same way, by giving the user quicker access using the cursor buttons, as already mention above.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Tones 265-322: E.ORGAN's
Symptom: 'Tremolo/Amp Simulator' setting is set to '[1] Normal' instead of '[5] Rotary', which would be the expected setting for E.ORGAN's. In comparison, the 10 'Tone Wheel Organs' numbered 255-264, are set to 'Rotary' as expected.
Reported: 9th July 2014 to Roland.co.uk
Verification: Awaited
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Topic now superseded by RD-800 System Program Version 1.04 Bug List (+ Wish List)
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48753