RD-800 Sound on Sound Review

Forum for RD-700GX, RD-700NX and RD-800
spottingjonah

RD-800 Sound on Sound Review

Post by spottingjonah »

I was just about the order an RD-800... until I read the Sound on Sound review. Now I'm not so sure. Can any of you help me out here?

The review clearly states that the RD-800 is NOT a good MIDI controller at all, with ultra limiting controller features. This is a fairly important feature as I am looking for a high quality 88 key synth with controller features. I don't have extensive controller needs, but I do plan to make the 88 key synth my main unit controlling an Integra-7 and patch changes for my Kronos-X61.

Furthermore, the review made a big deal about how limiting the RD-800 is overall, especially compared to previous RD series boards. Basically, the only thing the reviewer stated was any good with the RD-800 was the piano sound and feel. It's basically a really good stage piano (hense what its ultimately marketed as), but not much else.

Does anyone have some good experience with it so far that can support this review or argue otherwise? Thanks!!
bgiles

Re: RD-800 Sound on Sound Review

Post by bgiles »

That's interesting, as I specifically chose the RD-800 over the RD-700NX because of its MIDI master controller features.
Having only read the on-line trailer review (incomplete) on the 'Sound on Sound' site, I don't know what else they had to say, but from my perspective of master controller, The RD-800 having 4 fully assignable knobs, 3 buttons & 3 pedals made the RD-800 win 'hands down' over the RD-700NX.
Having upgraded from the original RD-700, which only had 1 assignable knob and 2 pedals, I have more than I need, on top of great on-board sounds, and a wonderful action.
No regrets from me.
torhus

Post by torhus »

Judging from the manual, page 37 onward, the 800 has all the master keyboard features of the NX, except for the third MIDI OUT.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

Reading the RD-700NX manual, you can assign full range CC controllers to the 4 level sliders when the CONTROL indicator is lit.
Whereas on the RD-800 you can assign these to the 4 assignable knobs. The 4 sliders are fixed for adjusting the external MIDI levels of the set channels (as the RX-700NX when the CONTROL indicator is off).
torhus

Post by torhus »

Yeah, the perfomance features of the 800 look like a nice improvement over the NX :)

They took away the option to have 16 + 4 parts, the 800 has only 16. I've never needed that many anyway. And as far as I can tell, the number of live sets is down from 610 (60 partially editable Piano/EP, 350 preset, 200 user) to just 200 user. The number of Tones is higher, though.
bgiles

Post by bgiles »

I was used to 100 setup's on my original RD-700, so 200 is a big step up.
I guess for those who need more, it takes less then a minute to load them from memory mid performance.
I chose the RD-800 for the fantastic SuperNATURAL Pianos & E.Pianos, PH4 keyboard, and good MIDI controller functionality, that I need when used with 'Vienna Symphonic Library'.
I suppose if someone is looking for more 'on the fly' MIDI control than the RD-800 provides (i.e. 4 knobs, 3 foot, 3 switches), I guess they will need to look elsewhere.
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

bgiles wrote:I chose the RD-800 for the fantastic SuperNATURAL Pianos & E.Pianos, PH4 keyboard, and good MIDI controller functionality...
That's exactly what I'm looking at it for as well.

Thanks for all the great responses. That helps a lot. Looks like I'll get mine ordered pretty quick then.